"Deadlines" to start by

Copper Contributor

Deadlines are useful, since they do not shift when the project is recalculated.

Is there a way to set a "deadline" that indicates - "must start by", instead of "must be completed by"?

(I guess I could set a sacrificial milestone before the relevant task with a deadline)

6 Replies

Hello @Yaakov_Shaked ,

You can use a new custom Start field and add that to the Gantt - rename the field as needed:

PaulMather_0-1678745580115.png

Right click on the Gantt then click Bar Styles and add the new bar style, example below:

PaulMather_1-1678745638744.png

Hope that helps

Paul

@Yaakov_Shaked 

You can try the Schedule from: Project Start Date option in Project / Properties / Project Information, and Project will calculate a Start date from a Finish date, based on the current schedule.

Regards

Ignacio_Martin,
I think you have a typo. I think you meant to say, Schedule from: Project Finish Date.

Unfortunately, although reverse scheduling may sound like a good idea to users who want to "nail down" the plan's finish, it generally results in a lot of confusion and unexpected scheduling.

John

@John-project 

"My apologies and thanks to John for detecting that typo error"

"The correct procedure to schedule backward from the Project Finish Date is as follows: go to Project / Properties / Project Information, and Project will calculate a Start date from a Finish date, based on the current schedule.

Although this option is not usually recommended, it can be useful for simulations such as 'When should I start if I want to finish on a certain date?' Later, the result can be used as a starting point for a new or adjusted schedule of the existing one"

Ignacio_Martin,
No problem, I've made my share of typos also :)

I agree that as a starting point, setting the finish date and then laying out the plan in reverse could be a first step, much like using manual scheduling. However, once a good plan is in place I believe a change to forward scheduling (with all tasks auto-scheduled) is a more natural, better approach.

John

@John-project 

Thanks for the answers.

My project deadline relates to the arrival of a shipment at customer site.

There, are several steps that must happen before the arrival, such as the shipment itself, packaging etc. These step are known well in advance. In this case it makes sense to plan in reverse in order to translate the final deadline to an earlier "must start by" date.

For example, the package must be shipped by a specific date in order to meet the deadline. (I also know that there is no chance for early delivery)

It is useful to use the deadline functionality for this because it does not effect the project calculations. I can always negotiate a changed deadline if it cannot be met, later on, but it gives me a useful target.