Question about Project Web App regarding archiving completed projects

Copper Contributor

Hello community,

I am new here therefore I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question...

In the company I work, we use project online for our project management.

At the moment we have the problem that there are a lot of closed projects in the project center.

This leads me to the question, is it possible to archive these completed projects direct in project web app?

To hide the finished projects we use the filter (hide all with 100%) in the web app at the moment but this is not the way we want to archive projects in the future.

Many thanks,

MIMA

3 Replies

Hello @MIMA89 ,

There are several ways to remove a project from a view in the Project Center, this could be via custom fields or the security model. High level these are described below:

• Custom fields
    • You could have an Enterprise Custom Field that is link to a Look up table. The field could be called "Project Status" and the values in the look up could be "Draft", "Live", "Completed", "Archived". Then set filters on the Project Center views to filter out where the "Project Status" field = "Archived"
  • Security model

Paul

@Paul Mather 

Microsoft has a knowledge article about how to "Archive a completed project in Project server 2010". The standard method involves quite a few steps, and there are three alternate methods offerred.

The second alternate method is to Remove Project from the Draft Database.

What is the Draft Database and how do you get to it?

Further in the description of this second alternate method, it is stated that to restore the project, one may choose "Administrative Restore" in the Server Settings, but there appears to be no such option in PWA Server Settings. Could you please shed some light on that.

Finally, there is a Project Online article about and a cue job for Deleting Archived Projects. Does the word "Archived" in that article refer to articles that have been backed up by either the standard or any of the alternate methods described in the article "Archive a completed project in Project server 2010", or is it in reference to a particular archiving method before deleting?

Thank you!

Stefan --

I would recommend you completely ignore the articles you reference. The two best ways to archive a project using Project Online are shown in Paul Mather's latest post. Use one of those tow methods and you will be happy with the results. Hope this helps.