PWA missing from our SharePoint Online tenant

Steel Contributor

We have 26 "Project for Office 365" licenses which I believe are now called Project Online Professional.  We are supposed to have a PWA option within SharePoint online to setup and direct our Projects to be stored in the cloud plus setting up shared enterprise fields like resources etc.

I am the SharePoint Admin yet I don't see this PWA anywhere on our tenants.  If I click on New > I only have Private Site Collection and nothing about PWA.  I also cannot configure an existing site collection to use it as it's just not there.  

We own this software and subscribe to it, so how do we simply setup a "SharePoint Server" online to host all of our project data?

11 Replies
I am generally confused by Project Online, MS Project, and the fact that the classic Project template is still being used and promoted. I am not seeing the 'roadmap' of these products and where the meet, match, compliment or otherwise parallel each other. Can some one please clarify? I want to promote use of Project Online and the PWA approach but I don't know current status, future plans or where to go to find these things out.

Yes that's the one I'm using, but I do not have the PWA options.   I see Upgrade then Recycle Bin and nothing in between.

Why is the PWA options missing?  Attached is what I see as a SP Admin.

You already applied the license to your account and followed step 4 of checking the box for which site collection you're adding PWA to?

We have 26 subscriptions of Project Online Professional.  When you say "apply license" what does that mean?  From what I've read, Project Online Professional is supposed to include cloud storage for managing projects.  Do we also have to buy a separate Project Online Server license?  This is so confusing.

Step 4 says "Hover over the URL for the site collection where you want to enable Project Online, and then select the check box that appears to the left of the URL."  Yes I have tried slicking on multiple sites.

Step 5 says "Click Project Web App on the ribbon, and then click Add."

PWA is NOT in the ribbon.

Once you've purchased the licenses, I understand you need to apply them... including one, at least temporarily, to whoever is doing the initial setup:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/projectonline/add-project-online-to-your-office-365-account

It's been awhile since I've looked at what comes with the licensing, but you might actually need a Project Online Premium license (not professional) for whoever is going to "manage" or "setup" project online.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/project-online-service-description/pr...

Project Online is a flexible online solution for project portfolio management (PPM) and everyday work. Delivered through Office 365, Project Online provides powerful project management capabilities for planning, prioritizing, and managing projects and project portfolio investments — from almost anywhere on almost any device. Project Online can be used by administrators, portfolio managers and viewers, project and resource managers, and team leads and members.

Project Online is available in three plans — Project Online Essentials, Project Online Professional, and Project Online Premium.

It says it's an Online Solution so where is the "online" for storing and setting up these shared projects?

Project Online Professional1 All of the Project Online Essentials functionality, plus: 
Rich user interface through desktop client 
Anytime/anywhere access through Web interface - WHAT WEB INTERFACE?
Project scheduling and costing 
Resource management - WHERE ARE THESE STORED?
Publishing projects to the cloud  - HOW??????
Includes the most current version of the Project desktop application, instantly streamed to your Windows PC. 
Each subscription license allows for up to five concurrent installations of the Project desktop application. 
Unfortunately our IT provider that we purchase these through is completely inept and simply emails the same links that you guys have been sending.

Hi Mercedes, you should really ask this question via a support request from your tenant - but it may be that your subscription needs updating.  Project Online Premium and Project Online Professional both contain the Project Online Desktop Client and also give you rights for PWA - but the older Project for Office 365 was just the client subscription.  I can't do much in this thread due to privacy and security constraints - but if you can't switch the subscriptions then open a support ticket.

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Hi Lisa, the two products work together - MS Project, or as it is called in the subscription model the Project Online Desktop Client - can be used against Project Online or on its own.  For the future of Project see the recent announcement https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Project-Blog/A-letter-to-our-Microsoft-Project-community/ba-p...

Best regards,

Brian Smith 

It appears our previous IT provider never upgraded our licenses to the Project Online Professional and kept us on the old retired subscription.  Now that we're with a new service provider, they changed our licenses (same price) and magically PWA is there!