SOLVED

Project Server 2019 Schedule.aspx Load Error only in edit mode

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I have a problem with Project Server 2019 - Project Web App sites in both test and production farms. The problem is when I try to open any project in edit mode and navigate to schedule.aspx page, I get a message saying "Sorry, we were unable to open your project..." gives you an option to click OK and takes you back to the project center.

BTW Everything was working fine in both test/production env till last week or so. I believe the customer IT department made some changes but I don't know what It might be. What I tried so far to find a root cause is listed below. As I said both environments have the same issue, so the problem could be related to some security policy blocking something that affects both farms.

edit: editing and publishing schedule works fine through MS Project Professional

reached the web services through VPN, receive the said error,
used RDP to connect to a local virtual machine in the customer network, receive the same problem
tried Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, received the same problem
tried to access PWA sites from directly host servers, received the same problem
checked for script load fails using developer console network tab, but didn't find any failed loads

I did check the ULS records and here is what I found:

PcsPool.AssignWorker: Failed to assign worker to project ed0ecd66-391f-eb11-b073-0050568a442e, removing from database. Exception : Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsManagerException: Failed to create a new process! Error Code = 193 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.WorkerProcess.Start() 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsWorker.CreateProcess(String appServerHostExe, String workingDir, String arguments) 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsWorker.Start(EngineVersionOption version) 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsAppPool.CreateWorker() 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsAppPool.AssignWorker(IPlatformContext siteContext, Guid projectUid, Guid userUid, IPSError psError, PcsWorkerInfo& pcsWorker, Boolean& projectOpenedInAnotherServer)

CalcServiceManager : Processing Error while opening project guid: ed0ecd66-391f-eb11-b073-0050568a442e, Exception: Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsManagerException: Failed to create a new process! Error Code = 193 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.WorkerProcess.Start() 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsWorker.CreateProcess(String appServerHostExe, String workingDir, String arguments) 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsWorker.Start(EngineVersionOption version) 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsAppPool.CreateWorker() 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.PcsEngine.PcsAppPool.AssignWorker(IPlatformContext siteContext, Guid projectUid, Guid userUid, IPSError psError, PcsWorkerInfo& pcsWorker, Boolean& projectOpenedInAnotherServer) 
at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.CalcServiceManager.OpenProjectInternal(CalcServiceCallState callState, Guid realProjectGuid, Guid remappedProjectGuid, GetProjectDataInfo getProjectInfo, EngineSessionState& sessionState, EngineSessionType sessionType, PSError& psError, Boolean clearUndoStackOnOpen, Boolean noAsync, ProjectOptions projectOptions)

PWA:, ServiceApp:Project Server Service Application, PSI: Failed to open project: ed0ecd66-391f-eb11-b073-0050568a442e, in site: 9448f596-92aa-4249-a161-630bb4858314

Error is: ProjectDetailPagesFailedToLoadProjectInWorker. Details: Failed to open project: ed0ecd66-391f-eb11-b073-0050568a442e, in site: 9448f596-92aa-4249-a161-630bb4858314 . Standard Information:

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2 Replies

Hello @harunkara ,

Are you able to ask IT what changed? Did they apply a new SharePoint / Project Server update to the farm? Any other updates on the farm?

Paul

best response confirmed by harunkara (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Paul Mather Hi Paul, I opened a ticket about this isssue and we got it resolved. I found some files in C drive root which were called Program Files and its derivatives from P to Program Files x86. Apparently these files appeared because of an anti virus software in the servers. 

The specific reason for the error was caused by Claims to Windows Token Service not being able to start due to their path being corrupted by the awkward files I mentioned above. Once i cleared the c drive root of those files and started C2WTS service the error disappeared. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by harunkara (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Paul Mather Hi Paul, I opened a ticket about this isssue and we got it resolved. I found some files in C drive root which were called Program Files and its derivatives from P to Program Files x86. Apparently these files appeared because of an anti virus software in the servers. 

The specific reason for the error was caused by Claims to Windows Token Service not being able to start due to their path being corrupted by the awkward files I mentioned above. Once i cleared the c drive root of those files and started C2WTS service the error disappeared. 

View solution in original post