SOLVED

Project Online - Replacing Generic resource with 2 named users through Resource Engagements

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

I'm exploring Resource Engagement functionality for resource demand management in Project Online and have following scenario based questions related to the same:
Scenario 1:
PM has a task that needs 2 developers. task duration is 5days and work required is 80h. He schedules it using generic work resource called 'Developer'. PM then sends resource engagement request to Resource Manager (RM) demanding 2 resources. Since Resource engagement doesn't allow RM to swap one generic resource with 2 named users, what's the best approach to resolve the issue? I know that RM can swap generic user with one of the named user and then create new engagement for another user but it will be treated as separate engagement and hence, doesn't make sense when consolidating proposed work and committed work at portfolio level.

Scenario 2:
Task duration is 5days and work required is 40h. He schedules it using generic work resource called 'Developer'. But PM wants Resource R1 for first 3 days and Resource R2 for remaining 2 days. Can PM request 2 different resources for same task ?

Kindly advise.

6 Replies
best response confirmed by MayurPode (Copper Contributor)
Solution
MayurPode --

In both of your scenarios, you cannot use a single Generic resource. Instead of a single resource named Developer in your organization's Enterprise Resource Pool, your application administrator would need to create multiple instances of the Developer resource, named something like Developer 01, Developer 02, Developer 03, etc. In Scenario #1, when two developer resources are needed for a task, you would add two of the numbered Developer generic resources, such as Developer 01 and Developer 02, and then assign them to tasks. That way, each of the Developer resources could be replaced with a human (named) resource. In Scenario #2, you would add two of the numbered Developer resources, such as Developer 01 and Developer 02, and then create two Resource Engagements, one for each of the Developer resources.

What you have described in your scenarios are situations I have encountered a number of times, and what I am sharing is my recommended best practice approach. Hope this helps.
Hello Dale,
Thanks for sharing insights and best practice approach. What you suggested makes sense. However, I have a follow up question now: Let's say we have 5 'Developers' in resource pool, then it doesn't make sense to create 5 generic developer resources. So, in this case, what should be ideal count of numbered generic resources for developer role?
MayurPode --

To address the situations you described in your first post, you would need to create five Generic resources named Developer 1, Developer 2, etc. If that solution does not work for you, then you would need to set the Max. Units value to 500% for the single Developer resource to indicate that there are 5 full-time developers who can work on projects. Hope this helps.
Ok.
But if I do that (set Max units to 500% to cover 5 developers) I'm not sure how it works in resource engagement as it will see only see only 1 resource and will allow only 1 resource to swap the generic resource..

MayurPode --

You cannot have it both ways, my friend. That is why I recommended using multiple Developer resources named Developer 1, Developer 2, etc. Your replace replacement needs for both resource assignments and Resource Engagements would require this particular solution. So, pick which solution works the best for you and go for it. Hope this helps.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MayurPode (Copper Contributor)
Solution
MayurPode --

In both of your scenarios, you cannot use a single Generic resource. Instead of a single resource named Developer in your organization's Enterprise Resource Pool, your application administrator would need to create multiple instances of the Developer resource, named something like Developer 01, Developer 02, Developer 03, etc. In Scenario #1, when two developer resources are needed for a task, you would add two of the numbered Developer generic resources, such as Developer 01 and Developer 02, and then assign them to tasks. That way, each of the Developer resources could be replaced with a human (named) resource. In Scenario #2, you would add two of the numbered Developer resources, such as Developer 01 and Developer 02, and then create two Resource Engagements, one for each of the Developer resources.

What you have described in your scenarios are situations I have encountered a number of times, and what I am sharing is my recommended best practice approach. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post