Project online - moving schedules to a different tenancy

Copper Contributor

We're moving to a new microsoft tenancy having previously shared with a parent company. I have a number of schedules in Project online (i.e. created in the browser rather than with the Project desktop client) but can't see an easy way to migrate them.

I can export them as Excel files but there's no way to import them directly into the new tenancy, and I'd rather not create them from scratch. 

One alternative may be to import the excel files into the project desktop client then import the resulting .mpp back into project online, but something with fewer steps would be preferable. 

Any suggestions appreciated!

7 Replies
tbeuzeval --

I would recommend you have a chat with FluentPro about your needs. Take a look at this:

https://fluentpro.com/fluentbooks-for-project-online/

FYI, I do NOT work for FluentPro, I have never used this tool, and will not be compensated by FluentPro if you purchase this tool. I am simply an interested bystander who wants to help.

@Dale Howard thanks - I will take a look 

@tbeuzeval I've had customers that couldn't afford a migration tool but were able to have each Project Manager (or Admins) open each schedule and save it locally (using Project Desktop). After the new environment was configured then connect Project Desktop to the new environment and save/publish each project. Overall, its about 30 sec per project. But you can say it took hours and hours ; )

Thanks @TonyProctor. I'm not sure that will work in this instance as the schedules are in Project Online (i.e. created in the brower) and I don't see an option to open with the desktop version of Project - just export to Excel
If you have a Project Plan 3 or 5 license you can install MS Project Professional and open them. Here's how to install it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/install-project-7059249b-d9fe-4d61-ab96-5c5bf435f281
Here's the link how to configure it after you install it. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/projectonline/connect-to-project-online-with-the-project-online-de...
tbeuzeval --

As I have read and reread your responses, it just dawned on me that you might be using Project for the Web and NOT Project Online as you state. If you navigate to what you call "Project Online", does the URL contain the following:

project.microsoft.com

If so, that means you are using the Project for the Web application and not Project Online. Yes, I know all of these terms are confusing. You can blame Microsoft Marketing for that!

So, if you are truly using Project for the Web, there is no direct method for moving projects from one environment to another. And that would mean that you definitely need to talk to Fluent Pro.

If you are actually using Project Online, then you can follow the sage advice from my wise colleague, Tony Proctor. Hope this helps.
Thank you @Dale Howard and Tony for helping to clarify the version involved. The schedules I'm referring to have been created with "Project for the Web". I wasn't certain what they are known as because it is, as you say, very confusing: I made my schedule online with my Project Online Service subscription which in my mind is considerably more "online" than using a desktop client that uploads to a sharepoint site. Apologies (from Microsoft Marketing). Thanks again