Project for the Web, Project Accelerator and Teams

Copper Contributor

Good Afternoon all,

First time poster and great to be here.

I am the head of Programmes and Projects for a SME and I have implemented Project for the Web and the Project Accelerator to great effect across my organisation.  A client has asked us to implement for them however, due to the complexity of their organisation they have multiple, separate "organisations" under a single tenant (not for discussion here :facepalm:).  Due to this segregation, We have had to install a dedicated instance of Project for the Web and the Accelerator in a dedicated Power App environment (Not Default).

The issue we now have is that we cannot integrate Project for the Web with Teams Channels and by extension, implement tasks directly to Engineering Team Planners.  While the accelerator continues to provide great project and reporting solution, the lack of integration with Teams seriously reduces its effectiveness as a collaboration tool.  Research to date indicates that only Project for the Web installed in the default instance (not best practice) will integrate with Microsoft teams.

I post this out of hope than expectation however, can anybody out there in the community advise whether they have successfully resolved this challenge?

I look forward to your responses.

11 Replies
good morning all, please accept my apologies for this "Bump" as I would be interested to know if the Administrators have seen this issue and, hopefully over come it?
Hi Gareth
You've hit the snag that many of us have also found. There are some features that can only work if they are in the default environment.
Amongst these are:
Add the Project to a Teams channel
Templates
@ mention and conversations in Project tasks

It's very frustrating and isn't made clear enough on the Accelerator GitHub page nor is it made clear in the Roadmap.
There is no workaround.
It's something we have to keep being vocal about as it is creating a two-tier offering but for the same price.
Is this still true that if you add Project Accelerator to another environment besides the default, you will not be able to add the Project to a Teams channel? I am having a difficult time setting up the Accelerator in another environment and following the steps for creating a custom solution.
Gareth --

I cannot speak with any absolute certainty on your situation, but I can confirm that the Project for the Web development team is acutely aware of the limitations of this tool. So, perhaps there will be a resolution to this problem sooner or later. Better sooner than later, BTW! Hope this helps.

Hi @Gareth_Eldridge ,  I believe MS is listening to our up votes for including the non-default environment deployed P4W in Teams. It's under development as per below snapshot from Updates release notes:

SayedNasr_0-1686474230672.png

Microsoft has released the new update that allows you to add Project for the Web from non-default environment to Teams. Please test and let me know if it works for you, as I failed to make it work so far.

SayedNasr_0-1689421525920.png

We have the same issue using the Project app in Teams as the Task views don't work and if you have multiple named instances there was no way to select which instance you connect to.

What we found was you can add Project for the Web to Teams if you use the Website app and supply it the url to the named instance. This also allows you to link to multiple instances within a single Teams site it needed. This a option allows you to modify the schedule in the Task vies(s) and everything else in the Accelerator works. The only option I've seen that doesn't work is the Open in new window option, but in my opinion that's a minor inconvenience.
This workaround was existing all the time, and It's what exactly I don't need.
I'm looking for the same native experience when you include "Project App" from Default Environment for a single project with no access to the other projects. This is the only way, I can create a dedicated Teams Group for each Project.
Gotcha. Our experience with the 'Project app' behaves differently than you described. We do not get the option to select a specific project, even for projects in the default environment. I need to review our environment configuration as it appears something is not right.
Hi SayedNasr;
I tried to to add my project from non-default environment to Teams. I open that Project app on Team and the list is empty. I checked and made sure that the project's group member is this Team group but still not work. How about you now ?
Hi, It works fine for me. I can add Projects from the non-default environment to MS Teams as long as it's assigned to the same group in P4W app.
Note: I'm using the Project accelerator version of P4W.