SOLVED

Project Desktop - Cost resources in Actual Cost

Copper Contributor

Hello,

In Project Desktop I've assigned Cost resources to some tasks and, when tasks are marked as 100% completed, the cost resources do not appear in Actual Cost, but in Remaining Cost. Shouldn't they appear in Actual Cost?

I've found the solution of entering them as Fixed Costs in order to be taken into account in Actual Cost, but yet shouldn't they automatically appear in Actual Cost?

Thank you!

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Alina_Andreica (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Alina --

When you updated the % Complete value on a task that has BOTH a Work resource AND an Expense Cost resource, Microsoft Project will only update the Actual Work for the Work resource, but it will NOT update the Actual Cost for the Expense Cost resource. This means that you will need to manually update the Actual Cost information for the Expense Cost resource. The best way to do this is to apply the Task Usage view and then display the Cost table. Enter the Actual Cost information for the Expense Cost resource assignment on the task. Hope this helps.

@Dale Howard Thank you very much!

Yes, I've also updated the Actual Cost in the Cost table. 

But I wanted to make sure that the cost resource update is not automatic and I'm not missing any facility 

Thank you again!

Alina -- You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!
Thank you again, my friend!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alina_Andreica (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Alina --

When you updated the % Complete value on a task that has BOTH a Work resource AND an Expense Cost resource, Microsoft Project will only update the Actual Work for the Work resource, but it will NOT update the Actual Cost for the Expense Cost resource. This means that you will need to manually update the Actual Cost information for the Expense Cost resource. The best way to do this is to apply the Task Usage view and then display the Cost table. Enter the Actual Cost information for the Expense Cost resource assignment on the task. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post