SOLVED

Project - Blurry and Inverted Black/Blocky Areas

Copper Contributor

I am new here so please go easy on me!

I am an estimator for a Building company and I am trying to resolve an issue with Project, I have sopken to our IT and they say its a new computer needed because of the Graphics Card, I am not sure this is the case as all other software works and changing my laptop is not a 10 minute job is its got proprietory software on it, anyhow the issue can be see in the attached screenshots.

The laptop is upto date and has all correct drviers installed.  I've tried compatibility modes, low res, everything I can think of but no joy!

Its a Dell 7737.

Any help would be appreciated.Blacked out inverted and Blurry textBlacked out inverted and Blurry textBlacked out inverted and Blurry textBlacked out inverted and Blurry textBlacked out inverted and Blurry textBlacked out inverted and Blurry text

16 Replies

@Stripester 

Tried everything? Well, maybe not. If the issue only impacts Windows apps it may be a simple matter of the wrong (undesired) Office background or Theme settings. In Project go to File > Options >General group and check/modify the settings

2021-11-24_09-03-19.png

Hope this helps.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the response, I've tried setting the theme and background to different values and it still performs the same...it's really weird, its randomly blocky and blurry in different places when it happens....any other ideas?

@Stripester 

See if you can increase the amount of VRAM dedicated to graphics. Here's one article:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=video+memory+windows+10&lvl=1&FORM=PMETIS&filters=ans%3a%22cvns%22+lev... 

If you're already at the max, you might try un-installing Project and then re-installing. In the end though you may just have to bite the bullet and go for a new PC with more graphics capability.

John

Thanks John,

Yes I have tried the Graphics Card VRAM change and uninstalling and reinstalling.

Its odd, because all my other Office Apps work fine (in fact everything does) and the graphics card is what I consider to be good for what I need it to do is a 2Gb Graphics Memory on the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family card.

Frustrating to say the least...

Stripester,
So you're saying this only effects Project. What version of Project are you using?

You say you tried changing the Theme and Background settings and it "still performs the same". What exactly does that mean? Are you saying you always get the black background regardless of the theme and background setting?
John

Hi John,
The effect is random to where it happens, but always black/blocky/blurry menus and same with the backstage page....It only effect project, I have Project 16.0.14527.20276.

A couple more examples attached...Notice the blurred text also...

Project 1.jpg

Project 2.jpg

Stripester,
I ask again, if you switch the Office Theme to a different setting, say "white", will the change take effect but then periodically present the black/blocky/blurry issue, or does the new setting stay?

Is it possible you only see the issue with Project because you use Project more than other Office apps or do you use other apps just as often?

In Project does the issue only occur with a particular view (e.g. Gantt Chart)?

Just curious, do you have speech recognition turned on? If so, try turning it off.

I also notice that in your first posted screen shots you have the default Calibri 11 font but then I notice in your latest screen shots you show an Arial 8 font. I suggest you  stick with the Calibri font as I have seen/heard of graphic issues with other fonts.

John

@John-project

Responses below -

I ask again, if you switch the Office Theme to a different setting, say "white", will the change take effect but then periodically present the black/blocky/blurry issue, or does the new setting stay?  Change takes effect and then the black/blocky/burry issues happens almost immediately, but not as much if using "White"

Is it possible you only see the issue with Project because you use Project more than other Office apps or do you use other apps just as often?  I used all office apps every day, only effects Project

In Project does the issue only occur with a particular view (e.g. Gantt Chart)? Happens in all Views

Just curious, do you have speech recognition turned on? If so, try turning it off.  Turned off

I also notice that in your first posted screen shots you have the default Calibri 11 font but then I notice in your latest screen shots you show an Arial 8 font. I suggest you  stick with the Calibri font as I have seen/heard of graphic issues with other fonts.  Its defaults as Calibri 11, I had opened someone's else Programme open, the font doesnt seem to have an effect on the issue

Stripester --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread. Out of curiosity, what happens if you change the screen resolution on your computer? What you are describing sounds vaguely like some issues I have seen reported previously that were related to screen resolution and how it impacts Microsoft Project. Also, is your copy of Microsoft Project fully updated with the latest updates from Microsoft? You might find that applying the latest updates will resolve this problem. Hope these additional thoughts help.
Stripester,
I'm out of suggestions but I think Dale makes a good point. Turns out there is an update to Project. You said you have version 16.0.14527.20276. I just downloaded and installed version 16.0.14527.20312 although I've never seen the issue you describe myself.

In your initial post you mentioned trying low res. Is there any screen resolution that helps?

John

Dale,
Thanks for bumping in. I'm out of suggestions.
John

@John-project @Dale Howard 

Hi both thanks for all your suggestions, I've tried a lower res, same...

I will be getting hold of an identical computer in the next week or so and see if it has the same problem, if so, I guess its a driver issue (or at least an issue with Project on this type of machine).

Many thanks for your assistance, I will post a final message when I get to a answer.

PS updated to the newest version, still the same :cry:

Stripester,
You're welcome and thanks for the update. Yes, please let us know if the other PC shows any difference.
John
best response confirmed by Stripester (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stripester 

Resolution:  Integrated Graphics card settings

I had the same issue w/ JUST Project, and it was not easy searching for others with same issue & finding a solution. Your screenshots were very helpful !

See the setting I changed to resolve - I had an Intel HD Graphics controller. 
When I turned OFF  the CONSERVATIVE MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI-ALIASING,  It fixed the issue with MS Project.  

SEE PICS BELOW

In case image does not come through... 
-type in at start search bar "Graphics Settings" -  if the Project does not appear browse for the loation of Project:  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE"  and set it to appear. 
-Now set to high performance

For me to get to the setting:  
-Next Task is to find your graphics controller setting and turn anti-aliasing off.  
Goto SETTINGS  - >   DISPLAY  on left side ->  scroll down and click on DISPLAY ADAPTER PROPERTIES FOR DISPLAY 1   - >  on pop-up screen it lists your Adapter type, here it was my Intel HD Graphics card CLICK TAB Intel HD Graphics Control Panel -> Click GRAPHIC PROPERTIES.... goto 3D settings ->  turn off ANTI_ALIASING
all other settings can still be High Performance.

Also you may be able to see the Display Controller if you right click on task manager and see its icon there. 

http://prntscr.com/LFS_-x8XtfUH

http://prntscr.com/6pVQOtEnKh_R

http://prntscr.com/ElrGVyJWzFOm

Hope this helps.

JD

JD,
Thanks for jumping in. Hopefully the original poster will see your suggestion and will provide him/her some help.
John

@J__D_ 

I had not forgot about this Post and was still trying to resolve it, in fact I came back today to give you all an update...the update would have been that I am still having the issues even with an identical machine...

BUT..

Thanks to your post it has fixed the problem.

I would never have found that setting to change and I was almost in the frame of mind to buy a new laptop to resolve this issue.

I am in your debt, thank you so much for posting this and all the help I have been given on this site and to the other contributors such as @John-project .

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stripester (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Stripester 

Resolution:  Integrated Graphics card settings

I had the same issue w/ JUST Project, and it was not easy searching for others with same issue & finding a solution. Your screenshots were very helpful !

See the setting I changed to resolve - I had an Intel HD Graphics controller. 
When I turned OFF  the CONSERVATIVE MORPHOLOGICAL ANTI-ALIASING,  It fixed the issue with MS Project.  

SEE PICS BELOW

In case image does not come through... 
-type in at start search bar "Graphics Settings" -  if the Project does not appear browse for the loation of Project:  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE"  and set it to appear. 
-Now set to high performance

For me to get to the setting:  
-Next Task is to find your graphics controller setting and turn anti-aliasing off.  
Goto SETTINGS  - >   DISPLAY  on left side ->  scroll down and click on DISPLAY ADAPTER PROPERTIES FOR DISPLAY 1   - >  on pop-up screen it lists your Adapter type, here it was my Intel HD Graphics card CLICK TAB Intel HD Graphics Control Panel -> Click GRAPHIC PROPERTIES.... goto 3D settings ->  turn off ANTI_ALIASING
all other settings can still be High Performance.

Also you may be able to see the Display Controller if you right click on task manager and see its icon there. 

http://prntscr.com/LFS_-x8XtfUH

http://prntscr.com/6pVQOtEnKh_R

http://prntscr.com/ElrGVyJWzFOm

Hope this helps.

JD

View solution in original post