Project Accelerator - Roadmaps or Programs

Copper Contributor

Accelerator introduces the idea of grouping projects into programs, where there are clear relationships. Does this feature replace the Roadmap capability that is in the version of the Project Environment that precedes Accelerator?
If so, if an Accelerator environment replaces one which uses Roadmaps, are the project->roadmap relationships retained (and simply mapped to the Program field?)

4 Replies

Hello @IainWooldridge ,

The Roadmap app is a separate app, this is used to visualise the key dates for a collection of projects. There is no link between the Program field and the Roadmap data. 

Paul

Hi @Paul Mather 

So where can I get the Roadmap app so that it's included in the environment in which I'm running P4tW + Accelerator? I am presuming that it's the Portfolio Service which I can see in the default environment...

Many thanks

Hello @IainWooldridge ,

Yes that will the Portfolio service running in the default instance:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/project-for-the-web/project-architecture-overview 

If you aren't familiar with Roadmap, this might help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/video-welcome-to-roadmap-57764149-51b8-468f-a50d-9ea6a4fd... 

Paul

Some quick questions along this thread: Does the Portfolio Service need to be set up in the alternate environment if Project for the Web P4W will not be used on the default environment? Initially P4W and Portfolio Service were deployed to default environment but now plan is to use alternate environment. I ask this because the Roadmap tables in the Power BI template won't load since the Portfolio Service is set up on the default environment, but not on the new alternate environment which will be used going forward.

Additionally, If P4W projects exist on the default environment (before the alternate environment was set up and P4W was deployed at the alternate environment), must the Power BI template be configured to query projects from both environments (until the projects on the default environment close)?