SOLVED

POL RBS

Brass Contributor

Hi Team 

Can someone tell me why I need to use the RBS in POL?  What advantages does it give?

Many thanks 

James

9 Replies
best response confirmed by James_Price (Brass Contributor)
Solution

James --

RBS stands for Resource Breakdown Structure. To populate the RBS field, you must create a set of values in the RBS lookup table that mimics the "org chart" for your company. Then you must populate an RBS value for each resource in the organization.

There are a few reasons why you might want to use the RBS field. One reason is because the RBS field is part of the security model for Project Online, which can be used to grant access to specific resources in the Enterprise Resource Pool. A second reason is for reporting about resources in the organization. A third reason is because the RBS field can be used for either grouping or filtering in the Resource Center page.

Keep in mind that Project Online does not require you to use the RBS field. It is available to you only if you need it. Otherwise, ignore it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Dale. Considering how useful it seems to be I find it strange there are no youtube, etc content on the market about this.
Cheers
James
Hi Dale,
Is there any way to populate RBS lookup table more than one row at a time? "Paste" only works for one row!!.
I had the idea to import a local customized text field and their local lookup table (local lookup table allow multiples rows paste from Excel for instance). Project desktop says it was fine, and I think I could have linked estandard RBS enterprise field to imported local lookup table but in Server Settings-Enterprise Customized fields I dont't see the new field (names for field and lookup table are different and different from estandard "RBS" field). I have tried to import other local customized fields without local lookup table linked and it was ok.
I published the project containing local customized field linked to local lookup table.

All this is because if you want to reply fully org chart in enterprise RBS field would be more easy!!
Thank you in advance.
Carlos --

I do not know of any way to work around this limitation. Sorry, but hope this helps.
OK to not availability to paste multiple rows in Enterprise lookup tables, but importing local customized fields and their corresponding local lookup tables should be allowed or not??

Project desktop message says export to Enterprise was ok but neither field nor lookup table can be seen in PWA customized fields and lookup tables.
Thank you again.
In my experience this is a browser issue. If using Internet Explorer I can copy/paste in multiple values (rows) for a lookup table, but it doesn't work if using Edge or Chrome.
Here is a link that has a good overview of security permissions, groups, categories and RBS. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/video-series-how-security-permissions-work-in-project-ser...

Thanks for this RD
Hi RDFFromm,

Pasting multiples rows really works with local lookup tables but with Enterprise lookup tables I have tested using Edge compatibility mode as Internet Explorer (IE was retired a year ago) and it happens the same as with other browsers : it pastes multiple files but at the same one row and that does not work, you need to have 3 or "n" local rows and 3 or "n" enterprise rows equivalent.

My point is: Is allowed importing local customized fields linked to lookup tables to Enterprise?. I have imported successfully local customized filelds to enterprise but when I try with a customized field linked to a local lookup table says it has gone well but I don't see (in PWA) neither imported field nor the imported linked lookup table.
Thanks RDFromm for your attention.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by James_Price (Brass Contributor)
Solution

James --

RBS stands for Resource Breakdown Structure. To populate the RBS field, you must create a set of values in the RBS lookup table that mimics the "org chart" for your company. Then you must populate an RBS value for each resource in the organization.

There are a few reasons why you might want to use the RBS field. One reason is because the RBS field is part of the security model for Project Online, which can be used to grant access to specific resources in the Enterprise Resource Pool. A second reason is for reporting about resources in the organization. A third reason is because the RBS field can be used for either grouping or filtering in the Resource Center page.

Keep in mind that Project Online does not require you to use the RBS field. It is available to you only if you need it. Otherwise, ignore it. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post