SOLVED

Opening and Viewing Option for Two MS Project Files Simultaneously on Two Screens?

Brass Contributor

Hi

Can two MS Project files be opened on two different screens at the same time?

This option is should be there as it is for other usual MS software like Word, Excel etc.

Hope this can be fixed as will ease out while working from two parallel files simultaneously.

Appreciate if this can be looked at, please asap.

Looking forward

37 Replies
MZ_Rasheed,
Two Project files can certainly be opened on two different screens. However, a single file cannot be opened for editing on two separate PCs. One file will be read/write but the other will by default be read only and for good reason, to avoid editing conflicts.

Unlike Excel, Project only allows on instance of the application to be opened so a user cannot open two separate instances of Project on a single PC. Obviously, Project can be opened on multiple PCs simultaneously, subject to licensing agreements.

Hope this helps to clarify.
John
John
Thanks for the prompt response.
However, the query relates to reporting a problem with Microsoft Project; not being able to open two different files on a single pc on two different screens.
Imagine yourself working on a MS Project file where you need to constantly refer to another Microsoft Project file. Unlike Word or Excel, project doesn't allows you to have the two files on two screens.
Wonder if this shortcoming can be addressed and fixed by the developers.
Will save a lot of time for project programmers and planners like myself working on extensively long files for hours.
Looking forward
Cheers

@MZ_Rasheed 

I don't understand what you mean. I can open multiple files and view them simultaneously using split screen via, View > Window group > Arrange all. It's not necessarily easy to work on the files especially with a small screen but careful use of filtering can make it easier. Another option is to temporarily create a master file with inserted projects.

If you are looking for the ability to have two separate instances of Project, then I suggest you submit a request via, File > Feedback > "I have a suggestion".

John

John
Thanks for the feedback and telling some of the possible options.
However, this is not exactly what is helpful had it been the case to view complete MS Project files on two different screens on the same computer.
The feedback has already been submitted, as advised by Microsoft support and hope developers can work to fix this shortcoming.
This would be greatly helpful.
If there is any info needed, please don't hesitate to contact.
Looking forward
Regards
MZ_Rasheed,
I hope you explained it more clearly in your feedback request because I still don't understand the issue. You CAN view complete Project files on two different screens on the same computer and I gave some options on how to do that. Perhaps its the definition of "screen". Do you mean two separate monitors connected to a single PC? If so, that is already possible although I don't know the details, I've never connected two monitors to my PC.. Check for other postings with the phrase "using multiple monitors on single computer".
John

@John-project 
Hi John
Thanks for your response back in regards to subject.
I definitely mean using two separate monitors connected to a single PC.
Unfortunately, with MS Project, it is NOT POSSIBLE.
Wonder if this can be fixed by developers at Microsoft.
Please let me know if you would like to speak on a call/screen share to help resolve this further.
Appreciated.
Regards

Thanks John!
Though this thread is partially useful as provides some alternatives. Again it is a testament that Microsoft has not been able to fix this issue since over a decade now.
Users like myself have been struggling and finding alternative ways. Fingers crossed until experts can take notice of this long issue and resolve.
Cheers
MZ_Rasheed --

FYI, the developers at Microsoft do not see this as an issue or a problem. It is simply how Microsoft Project works and has always worked, which is totally different from how Word and Excel work.

So, don't hold your breath, waiting for them to "fix" this, as there is no fix coming. For the moment at least, Microsoft has stopped further development on the Microsoft Project desktop application, and is spending all of its time and budget on the Project for the Web application instead. Hope this additional information helps.
MZ_Rasheed,

In a similar scenario, I usually extend the main Project window so as to occupy both screens in full in a two-monitor configuration, open the two files, and first arrange both files' windows horizontally by clicking the associated menu button (see View | Window | Arrange All) and then arrange them vertically by using the mouse such that each monitor contains only one of the windows of the files.

Hope this works.

As John has already mentioned, MS Project is a single instance application. You can not run multiple instances of MS Project but it can of course open multiple different mpp files, and multiple windows of the same mpp file. I hope they continue to invest in developing the desktop application further.

Wow, this is terrible customer service and I 100% agree with MZ_Rasheed.

The fact that the developers at Microsoft "do not see this as an issue or problem" is a terrible mindset and just goes to show that you all are not investing the time needed to meet the customers needs and/or you don't bother to even see with your own eyes what it is we need and don't care to know why.

Just because something has always been a certain way doesn't make it right and the fact that you're not even bothering to go after improvements being pointed out to you all is disappointing and shows a lack of ambition for improvement.

Thanks Eithala! 100% correct.

The irony is that some strange responses have been provided which are not helpful at all!

Only because of this, I am thinking to leave using this software (which previously have been using for 5 years now) and move to other competitive ones.

Might even suggest organisational revamped investment and look out for some competitive software providers in this category.

But still giving MS a chance after passing of several months since raising this, might receive any update to resolve this issue.
Eithala --

I don't work for Microsoft, so I have nothing to do with this situation. I am simply reporting to you what is going on within Microsoft. They are spending all of their development money on the new Project for the Web application, and no money on further developing the Microsoft Project desktop application. So, I would appreciate it if you would not blame ME for this situation! I am simply a volunteer in this forum.

@Dale Howard 

Sorry, this is a miserable excuse!!! MS Project developers are completely ignoring the grave importance of users opening one MS project program file PER SCREEN!!!  So, like Excel, Word, PP, or Outlook, I would be able to open one MS Project file for one monitor, and another different MS Project file for my second monitor!  Can you and John NOT SEE what he is trying so ardently to say to you?????  This IS A GRAVE OVERSITE (I think on purpose) of MSP developers.  For those of us who have worked MSP for 15 years, this is a bad problem.  This is why so many companies are nixing MSP and going P6 and Open Plan!!  Deltek has covered the gaps where Microsoft refuses!!  We are professionals who work multiple files every single day and some of us are working project files with 50 thousand task lines and more!!!  Give us a break!!  

John

Sorry, this is a miserable excuse!!! MS Project developers are completely ignoring the grave importance of users opening one MS project program file PER SCREEN!!!  So, like Excel, Word, PP, or Outlook, I would be able to open one MS Project file for one monitor, and another different MS Project file for my second monitor!  Can you and John NOT SEE what he is trying so ardently to say to you?????  This IS A GRAVE OVERSITE (I think on purpose) of MSP developers.  For those of us who have worked MSP for 15 years, this is a bad problem.  This is why so many companies are nixing MSP and going P6 and Open Plan!!  Deltek has covered the gaps where Microsoft refuses!!  We are professionals who work multiple files every single day and some of us are working project files with 50 thousand task lines and more!!!  Give us a break!!  
Wonderful! Amazingly put in by @bella160!
100% on the point!
Hope the pain is actioned by developers at Microsoft... :(
bella160 and MZ_Rasheed,
You two are both railing on Dale and myself for something over which we have ABSOLUTELY no control. WE DO NOT WORK FOR MICROSOFT. Your best option is to provide input directly to Microsoft via the Feedback channel in Project.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@MZ_Rasheed 

You can open either 2 windows of the same file or 2 completely different files at the same time across 2 screens.

I use a triple screen set up with my laptop and 2 x 34 inch widescreen monitors, with the display setting set to extend the desktop.

To achieve this you just need to reduce the project window from full screen view to a resizable window and then drag it to fill the two screens. When you have both files open you can use the Arrange All button in the View Tab to have them side by side one on the left screen and one on the right. - Resize them as necessary to make them fit perfectly.  I do this all the time and it works perfectly.

View solution in original post