office 365 project does not work

Copper Contributor

I just purchased a subscription to Project and worked on a new project all day yesterday.  Today, I went to log on and continue.  The project showed up on the list of available projects, but I get an error message that says "we cant load your project Return to project home to try reloading it". When I reload the same message comes up.  Same with new project... cannot use it at all.  Tried with Chrome and edge...Any ideas?

7 Replies

@Chad2018 have you opened a support case yet?  I do recall from our support team meeting earlier that one customer was seeing this - could have been you!

Best regards,

Brian

@Brian-Smith Thank you for the reply.  I did open a case, and I did a screen share session with a guy (James) on the telephone today.  He was pretty stumped by the error message, and is "troubleshooting" it for me.  We have a call scheduled for tomorrow at 10am.  The unusual part for me it that Microsoft accepted my payment for Project Online, activated it on my current 365 account and then I used it all day yesterday.  Then today, I logged back in...everything was there as it should be, but when I attempted to access the file I got the error message.  Same error when I attempted to just start a new project.  Odd.

I am willing to buy the desktop version if it is more stable, but I sure hope I can recover the project file I started.  This is the error message I get over and over again...

Screenshot (122).png

Hi @Chad2018, I'm hearing a few customers are seeing this - and I'd expect you should see a Service Health Dashboard posting later today.  I'll try and get more information and also post back here.  Sorry for the inconvenience here.

Best regards,

Brian

@Chad2018 

I would recommend you to connect to support team as they can be the best in business to help you in this situation.

Regards,

Lewis

@Lewis-H and @Chad2018 - overnight a mitigation should have started rolling out - and affected customers should also be seeing a posting on their Service Health dashboard (SHD) - assuming that either the customer had opened a support ticket or we had correctly detected the problem in the tenant.  Let me know if you aren't seeing the SHD posting @Chad2018 - and I can make sure you tenant gets added to the list.

And thanks @Lewis-H for the vote of confidence, and yes, we do have a great team here :).

Best regards,

Brian

@Brian-Smith Is the SHD the same as the service health tab in the office 365 admin center? I just looked there, and there was nothing related to project.  The Microsoft tech that has been working with me on the phone had me switch to project plan 3(free trial) from project plan 1 (what I paid for) and now I can use my file again.  Thank goodness... but...his suggestion is to abandon project online and download the desktop version.  Is that really the answer??

Hi @Chad2018 - yes, SHD is the O365 Health Tab - and this outage was listed under SP199630, under SharePoint Online - which can be a little confusing.  It may be that the support engineer didn;t correctly identify the issue and relate your problem with this outage.  Please can you share the support ticket number please?  E-mail me at brian.smith@microsoft.com.  We should have the mitigation rolled out now so I suspect this may have fixed your issue rather than license change.  Also what you were using was the new Project for the web which just needs Plan 1.  Project Online is something else entirely and comes with Plan 3 and 5.  The only reason I'd suggest using the desktop client is if the features of the new service don't meet your needs - and the client comes with Plan 3 and Plan 5.  If Plan 1 suits your needs then now we have it fixed.

Best regards,

Brian