SOLVED

MS Project timeline labels are wrong...

Brass Contributor

Hi team

In MS Project Gantt, when I tick on the 'Use fiscal year' box, the labels change to the previous year.  And this is exactly what's happening in the Timeline view.  The starting task is 8 Jan 2021, but the first label is Feb 20.  However, in the Timeline view there is no 'Use fiscal year' box to untick. 

Any ideas on what I can do?

Many thanks 

James 

10 Replies
best response confirmed by James_Price (Brass Contributor)
Solution
James -- Did you set the starting month of the fiscal year on the Schedule page of the Project Options dialog? If so, did you select the checkbox named Use Starting Year for FY Numbering? Please let us know and we will try to help you.
Perfect. Thanks for this Dale
James
Hi Dale
Something strange happened in the timeline which I missed. Jan to Mar became correct showing Jan21 to Mar21. Then it shows Apr22 to Dec22 and then correctly shows Jan22 to Dec22. The labels above the Gantt are fine.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
James
James -- Would you please provide a screenshot or two so that I can see what is going on? That would help. Thanks!

@Dale Howard  here you go.  Thanks for this

James 

Pix for Dale.PNG

@James_Price 

Dale already answered your question but he may not be on-line today so please allow me to make an observation. The months and years stated in your last posting do not match the screen shot posted. The screen shot shows Jan '21 through Apr '21 and then May 22' to Apr '22 for the Timeline view. The Gantt Chart timescale shows Jan '21 through Apr '22 as a "normal" year. That presentation is synonymous with Project > File > Options > Schedule tab set for a "fiscal year starts in" May and the Gantt Chart timescale option for "use fiscal year" unchecked.

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 1.03.59 PM.png

No strange display behavior, just an inconsistency with fiscal year settings.

John

Hi John
Many thanks for this. I thought if I unticked the 'use starting year in FY numbering' that would be enough but clearly not :)
Cheers
James
James,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. Glad you got it cleared up.
John

@John-project @James_Price I was having a similar issue where I had set the FY to be July but as I presented this became confusing to the audience and wanted to revert back to just a timeline view. There is No option to change the Timeline from financial year to just standard months. Just by taking the tick off does not reset this (Unless Starting month is January

To resolve this you need to take the tick off "Use starting year for FY Numbering" and reset the "Fiscal year starts in: January that removes the Fiscal year from appearing in the timeline and reverts back to standard months

@clinnd thanks for this.  I think this was cover in Dale's response.  It seems to do the trick.

Cheers

James 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by James_Price (Brass Contributor)
Solution
James -- Did you set the starting month of the fiscal year on the Schedule page of the Project Options dialog? If so, did you select the checkbox named Use Starting Year for FY Numbering? Please let us know and we will try to help you.

View solution in original post