SOLVED

MS Project Calculating Duration Incorrectly

Iron Contributor

When I set a fixed duration task to start on 5/25 and finish on 6/7, this is a duration of 10 days. MS Project for some reason however, is displaying a duration of 12 days. This is incorrect. I don't' understand why its doing this. If I manually change the duration field to 10 days, then project changes the finish date to 6/6, which is still not correct because working days from 5/25 to 6/6 would be 8 days. I have May 30th scheduled as a non-working day for memorial day. See screenshot.  I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the options I have set for the project which is 6 hours per day, 30 hours per week to account for the reality that its not realistic for someone to be able to dedicate a full 8 hour day to project work.

Screenshot 2022-05-22 113018.jpg

4 Replies
best response confirmed by JBLT-77 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
John Bacon,
I'm guessing you did not change the working calendar to reflect the 6 hour work day. By default, each work day is 8 hours (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM). The number of default days from 5/25/22 through 6/7/22, including the non-working memorial day, is 9. So 9 of the default 8 hour working days equals 72 hours. However, you have re-defined a "day" as 6 hours so 72 divided by 6 equals, wait for it, 12 "days".

The fact that resources may only be 75% efficient is not relevant for Project's scheduling calculation. That's something you will have to take into account when you estimate task durations and assign resources.

Hope this helps.
John
Yes. I checked and I did leave the project calendar work times from 8-12 and 1-5. I thought by changing working hours in project schedule options to 6, project would do its calculations accordingly assuming a resource assigned at 100% is still only 6 hours per day. So what you are suggesting is that I change the working hours per day back to 8, hours per week back to 40. Leave the project calendar working time as 8-12 and 1-5, but add resources with Max Units of 75% to account for administrative non-project related tasks performed during the day, and this should fix my calculation issue?

Or, if I just change the project calendar working times to 8-12 and 1-3.  Will that also resolve my duration, start date, finish date discrepancy?

JBLT83,
Well my question for you is, what are your company working hours? Are they normal 8 hour working days or are they 6 hour working days? If they are 8 hour working days, then don't mess with the working times, unless you need to change them to say, 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM to 3:30 PM, or similar.

If a resource is a full time employee then their Max Units (Resource Sheet) should be 100%. The amount of time they are expected to spend on any given task is determined by the assignment units. So if a resource has other tasks, allocate their assignment across all those tasks. Project will warn you if a resource is overallocated (i.e. assignment level over a defined period exceeds their Max Units value). That defined level can be set via, Resource > Level group > Leveling options.

When it comes to resource efficiency the best way to handle that is to allow extra work hours for a task. Let's say a task should normally take 8 hours to complete but because human resources are normally not 100% efficient, you might enter a work content of 10 hours (80%). However, you'll likely find that trying to work a project at that fine a detail is more effort than its worth (i.e. resource efficiency is a very small, likely insignificant, part of the issues the project manager faces during execution of a plan).

John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JBLT-77 (Iron Contributor)
Solution
John Bacon,
I'm guessing you did not change the working calendar to reflect the 6 hour work day. By default, each work day is 8 hours (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM). The number of default days from 5/25/22 through 6/7/22, including the non-working memorial day, is 9. So 9 of the default 8 hour working days equals 72 hours. However, you have re-defined a "day" as 6 hours so 72 divided by 6 equals, wait for it, 12 "days".

The fact that resources may only be 75% efficient is not relevant for Project's scheduling calculation. That's something you will have to take into account when you estimate task durations and assign resources.

Hope this helps.
John

View solution in original post