SOLVED

Migrate a project in Project Plan 1 into Project Plan 3

Copper Contributor

Can anyone inform me how to migrate a project created in Project Plan 1 (SharePoint Online Plan) into Project Plan 3 (Project Web App)? Or isn't that possible?

It seems I cannot download or copy/paste a project from Plan 1 to Plan 3 at all….

Do I have to enter a complete new project in Project Plan 3?

11 Replies

Hello @annemarl1,

Please can you confirm where the plan currently exists? It is a Project for the web type project? It is like this example here: https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/get-started-with-project-for-the-web-50bf3e29-0f0d-4b7a-9d2...

Paul

Hi @Paul Mather, actually I have no idea :)

Project 1 is on https://project.microsoft.com/etcetera en Project 3 is on "companyname".SharePoint.com.

Issue is that I've figured out that Project 3 has more features (like saving as pdf) and Project 1 not. 

I would like to do 2 things:

1) import my already entered file in Project 1 in Project 3 (so I don't have to type over all the tasks)

2) new file in Project 3 save/export somewhere else (e.g. Onedrive as a file or on a stick)

Also, what is the difference between "companyname".SharePoint.com and "companyname"-my.SharePoint.com??

@Paul Mather, I've double checked but Project 1 is the Web type version :)

Hello @annemarl1 ,

Unfortunately there is no way to migrate / export a project plan from Project for the web into Project Online Project Web App. 

Paul

:(
And when entered a new projectplan into Project Online Project Web App, can I somehow export this to my OneDrive, or someone elses Project Web App or save this on a stick?
And can you please explain the difference between the two SharePoints?

Hello @annemarl1,

A Project for the web project can't be exported to a file.

company.sharepoint.com is the main tenant, company-my.sharepoint.com is the personal sites like the classic My Sites in previous versions of SharePoint - this is where your personal OneDrive is etc.

Paul

Hello,

I'd like to confirm my understanding of Project Plan 1 vs. Project Plan 3.

• I'm doing a trial of new versions of Project.
  • I have entered ~200 tasks in Project Plan 1.
  • After finding that the ability to capture the Gantt charts (e.g., for other documents) is limited, I switched to Plan 3.
  • From what I read here, I understand I will have to re-enter all of the tasks, as these tools are incompatible.

Please confirm.

Thanks,  Mike

@Paul Mather 

Hi @MikeP8888 ,

Unfortunately there is no way out of the box to migrate a project from Project for the Web to Project Online.

Paul 

@Paul Mather 

Dear Paul

the last answer in this topic is from June 2020. Is there anything new?  I have exactly the same issue as MikeP8888.  Entered a lot of data in Plan 1 and realised the very limited capabilities of this version and now would like to use plan 3.   I guess still no Out of the box solution, but is there a circumvention? Best regards and thank you!  Peter

Hello @Peter_Roethlisberger  - still the same answer unfortunately. 

best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution
Thank you Paul for the fast answer: at least a small help: export plan 1 to xls. Open new project in plan 3, copy the whole column with text, duration, date, etc etc. one by one and paste it into the new project. At least the gant chart, text etc can be used again including interdependency of different tasks. , Then adapt structure etc.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution
Thank you Paul for the fast answer: at least a small help: export plan 1 to xls. Open new project in plan 3, copy the whole column with text, duration, date, etc etc. one by one and paste it into the new project. At least the gant chart, text etc can be used again including interdependency of different tasks. , Then adapt structure etc.

View solution in original post