SOLVED

How to set up multiple resource managers for different teams

Copper Contributor

Hello Group,

How can I set up multiple resource managers for different teams/people in Project Online?

Example:
There is a resource manager for engineering staff and another resource manager for marketing staff.

If a project manager requests a specific person (engagement request) with the qualification "engineer" (I want John, the engineer) ... then the request only goes to the resource manager for engineering staff.

kind regards

Andreas

7 Replies
Andreas --

This is a really deep question, but it is a good question. There would be at least three things you would need to do to make this happen:

1. You will need to set up the RBS lookup table to mimic your company's "org chart." Your RBS lookup table will show the structure of "who reports to whom" in your company.

2. After populating the RBS lookup table with your company's "org chart", you will need to specify an RBS value for every resource manager and every team member in your organization's enterprise resource pool. This will tell Project Online that a team member named Calvin Baker reports to a resource manager named Mickey Cobb for example.

3. You will need to edit the My Resource category. In the Resources section of the page, you will need to DESELECT the "They are descendants of the User via RBS" checkbox and then you will need to SELECT the "They are direct descendants of the User via RBS" checkbox. Save your changes when finished.

Hope this helps.

@Dale Howard 

thank you for your input! unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

I created a lookup table:

- marketing 

-- marketing staff

- engineering

-- engineering staff

and assigned people this way:

- marketing [Matthias]

-- marketing staff [Marlon]

- engineering [Andreas]

-- engineering staff [Richard]

Matthias: Resource Manager

Andreas: Resource Manager

Marlon: Team Member

Richard: Team Member

Then I changed the "My Resources" Category to:

>Resources: 

• "They are direct descendants of the User via RBS"

Then I created a new project and 

there I created a resource engagement request for both Team Members: Marlon & Richard.

Then I logged in to PWA as Andreas 

• selected Marlon & Richard in the Resource Center 
  • clicked the "Resource Request" Button.

And BOTH engagement requests showd up (not only the one - for Richard - from my team ... but also the request for Marlon from the other team).

And if I login to PWA as Matthias ... its the same. I see both engagement requests

Mmmhh.

Andreas --

What happens if Mattias actually logs into PWA, selects only Marlon, and then clicks the Resource Requests button? Do not use the Delegation feature. Instead, ask Matthias to log into PWA and perform the actions. Let us know what Matthias sees. Thanks!
Shure, if Matthias only selects his Team Member(s) - he only sees their engagement requests.

BUT (#1) He COULD show and answer the Engagement Requests for Team Members that are not in his team.
(I would like to make this impossible)

BUT (#2) It would be helpful, if the Resource Manager gets an email notification, if there is an engament request for one of HIS team members.

So resource managers basically need to proactivly
- look for engagement requests (they dont get email notification at all)
- look for THEIR requested team members.

I would like to make it more user friendly for the resource managers,
who have other tings to do as well.

#>Do not use the Delegation feature.
I dont.

Thank you for your input!
best response confirmed by Andreas_Raupach (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Andreas --

Regarding the e-mail notification requirement, first make sure that you have the Notifications and Reminders feature enabled in your Project Online instance. You will find this option at the bottom of the Additional Server Settings page.

In addition, I would recommend that you edit the All Resources view and the Work Resources view for the Resource Center to show only the resources that report to each specific resource manager. When you open each view for editing, select the "Filter Resources to user's RBS branch" checkbox and then save the updated view.

Once you have done the above, then ask your resource managers to do the following:

1. Navigate to the Resource Center page and apply either the All Resources or Work Resources view.
2. Select the checkboxes for every resource that reports to him/her.
3. In the Resources ribbon, click the Request Reminders pick list button and select the "Subscribe to selected resources" item on the menu.
4. Click the OK button in the confirmation dialog.

Hope this helps.
Wohooo!!

That's great!!!

I wasn't aware of the RBS Filter Option. Good news! Thats it!

And I wasn't aware of the "subribe to selected resources" process either.

Thank you so much for you kind support!
Andreas --

Your enthusiastic response makes me very happy. You are more than welcome for the support, my friend. If one of my replies is the solution to your problem, would you kindly mark it as the Best Response? Thank you.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andreas_Raupach (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Andreas --

Regarding the e-mail notification requirement, first make sure that you have the Notifications and Reminders feature enabled in your Project Online instance. You will find this option at the bottom of the Additional Server Settings page.

In addition, I would recommend that you edit the All Resources view and the Work Resources view for the Resource Center to show only the resources that report to each specific resource manager. When you open each view for editing, select the "Filter Resources to user's RBS branch" checkbox and then save the updated view.

Once you have done the above, then ask your resource managers to do the following:

1. Navigate to the Resource Center page and apply either the All Resources or Work Resources view.
2. Select the checkboxes for every resource that reports to him/her.
3. In the Resources ribbon, click the Request Reminders pick list button and select the "Subscribe to selected resources" item on the menu.
4. Click the OK button in the confirmation dialog.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post