How to reference a list of projects from within a Project Site

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I want to create a Project Site template (which I know how to do). But within this Site Template will be a custom list and I want to be able to select from a list of existing published projects in this list. In this way it would be possible to select a project and add notes to the list  to indicate the relationship between the current project and any other projects within the PWA instance.  I know how to create a list, but I haven't found a way to add a list of projects to a SharePoint list in the project site/site template.  Any advice around a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Alison

5 Replies

Hi @Alison Howes , nothing out of the box to do this but here are some options:

1. Create a new choice column at as a site column and manually maintain the choice options centrally then use this site column on the list in the Project Sites
  2. Have a central list called "Projects" for example with a column for Project Name and maybe Project ID. Have a Power Automate flow run that will keep the central list updated with the new Projects added to Project Online. Then on the Project Sites, have a new list that has a look up column to the central "Projects" list.

There are more options but these are the simpler ones I can think of currently.

Paul

@Paul Mather 
Hi Paul, Thanks so much.  In respect of your comment...
"Then on the Project Sites, have a new list that has a look up column to the central "Projects" list",

How exactly do I do this ?

Thanks

Alison

@Paul Mather 

Hi Paul, 

Thank you. I'm unclear on what you mean by "centrally" in your comment  "manually maintain the choice options centrally" - could you clarify please ?

Thanks

Alison

Hi @Alison Howes ,

Just a site collection choice site column created in PWA.

Paul

@Paul Mather 

Hmmm, OK Thanks Paul,

I need to investigate this further. Thanks for the steer. 

Alison