SOLVED

How to have linked two tasks finish and start on same day.

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am trying to have linked two tasks finish and start on same day. 

For example,

Task A 12/01/2023 - 13/01/2023 

Task B 13/01/2023 - 14/01/2023

I want to keep the relation as F-S.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

7 Replies

@Joey_Cho 

Do you mean you want them to

1. have same start and same finish dates OR
  2. have start & finish date on same date

Though it's not good practice, only way I know to use FS  and have same start date is to use Negative Lag. Assuming ID of Task A is 5, in the predecessor column, enter 5FS-2 (where is the duration of Task A).

best response confirmed by Joey_Cho (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Joey_Cho

Here are a couple of options. In this example a custom Project calendar was created based on the Standard calendar except Saturday and Sunday are normal working days. For the first two tasks, a Task Calendar was selected using the built-in 24 hour calendar. Keep in mind that Project only allows one definition for a "day" so with a default 8 hour workday, "task a" completes at midnight but "task b" then starts immediately on the same day (i.e. 1/13/23). For the second two tasks with the 7d workweek, "task d" will start on 1/13/23 as long as "task c" finishes before end of shift on 1/13/23.

2023-01-12_11-31-57.png

You could also extend the work hours of the 7 day calendar (e.g. 9 hour workday) such that an 8 hour task will finish at 5:00 PM and a successor task will than start at 5:00 PM since there is still one hour left in the workday.

Lot's of options, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps.

John

Hello Joey.

If you are willing to sacrifice a minute, and show the date without the time, you can put a negative lag of 1 minute in the link (FS-1min).
Hi Ignacio. Thank you for the advice,
How to put a negative lag in the link???

@Joey_Cho 

Hi Joey

You can write -1min or -1m in the Task information (double click) Predecessors, or in the Predecessors column, or in the Task Form (Details),... for example.

Ignacio_40_0-1673856315230.png

Regards

@Joey_Cho 

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Joey_Cho (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Joey_Cho

Here are a couple of options. In this example a custom Project calendar was created based on the Standard calendar except Saturday and Sunday are normal working days. For the first two tasks, a Task Calendar was selected using the built-in 24 hour calendar. Keep in mind that Project only allows one definition for a "day" so with a default 8 hour workday, "task a" completes at midnight but "task b" then starts immediately on the same day (i.e. 1/13/23). For the second two tasks with the 7d workweek, "task d" will start on 1/13/23 as long as "task c" finishes before end of shift on 1/13/23.

2023-01-12_11-31-57.png

You could also extend the work hours of the 7 day calendar (e.g. 9 hour workday) such that an 8 hour task will finish at 5:00 PM and a successor task will than start at 5:00 PM since there is still one hour left in the workday.

Lot's of options, it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps.

John

View solution in original post