How to Drive 1 Resource to Do 2 Simultaneous Tasks - Same Days, 50% Allocation to Each

Copper Contributor

I am trying to put together a schedule for one of our (construction) projects and want 1 crew to be assigned to do two tasks simultaneously (crew splits in half on the same days). The 2 tasks both have a duration of 15 days, and I've assigned the resource to each task and set it to 50%. These are the ONLY tasks with non-100% allocation right now, and then have the same predecessors and successors so they SHOULD run concurrently....but they don't. The first task is going first, at 15 days and 50% allocation, followed by the second task at 15 days and 50% allocation, for a total of 30 day duration (should be 15 day total duration). Any assistance here would be appreciated.

Thanks

4 Replies

@SMullaney 

Are you sure you didn't accidentally make one task a predecessor of the other?

Did you level your plan?

A screen shot might help but it should generally look like this

2021-07-15_12-40-32.png

John

John,

My (more complicated) setup looks similar to what you have above. Both activities have the same predecessor and are allocated at 50%, and the project has been updated and leveled. The sequence that is supposed to be concurrent (see screen shot) repeats a few times as we do the cycle of tasks repeatedly at multiple locations, but it seems only one instance of this has stacked up as concurrent - the rest are all going sequentially (sometimes task 1 goes first, sometimes task 2 first, not sure why either).

Let me know if the attached screenshots help at all.

EDIT: wouldnt let me attach the screenshot in the body for some reason so it's here as an attachment

@SMullaney,

You say you used leveling and that is the most likely reason for the non-concurrency. Why the tasks are concurrent in one case but not in others, I can't tell without actually looking at your file.

When you leveled, did you level the whole project or do selective leveling?

John

Hi ! The reason is leveling.
Red Task group (71, 79) and (72, 80) mutually leveled due to performing at the same time.
Personally, I do not use leveling for construction project. It often does not provide optimal leveling and generates none-optimal schedule.