SOLVED

How to copy a MS Project from one Team to another in MS Teams

Copper Contributor

I need to copy a specific MS project from one MS TEAM to another MS TEAM.

1. Is it possible (via MS Teams) - HOW
  2. If not possible, please suggest alternative, that, in the end, leeds to me having multiple, identical projects in different MS Teams (menus). No links between the copied projects are required
6 Replies
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hi @aden2022 

If you are trying to copy a Project for the web plan (which may be added/shown in a Team in Teams!) to another team.  You can do from within the project.  When you open the project you can click on the elipse (...) on the top right of the screen and select copy project.  Once copied you will be in the live copied project.  It will have removed the resources, task progress and Microsoft365 team that the project is associated with).  You can then edit the project name and, by clicking on group members, you can add this project to another team (Anyone in the other team can then access this project and they can also add this project to their a tab within their Team).

Hope this makes sense (there are a lot of Teams mentioned!)

Duncan  

You will see the project you are working on in Teams under either recent or shared with me

Thanks for your input, Duncan!
However: Neither in Teams(app) nor in Teams(webb) can I find the copy command, only
-Export to Excel
-Teamfiles
-Project info
Is this due to some license-issue, or am I simply not looking in the right place?

Hi @aden2022 

Yep, apologies, currently the copy project option is not showing in the Teams App.  You need to open the project in the browser.  Either select "Open in Browser" from the Teams Tab option.  Or just go to project.microsoft.com and open the project from there.  Then when you click on the elipse (...) you will see the option to copy project.  One of Microsofts extra 'features' :)

D

But all chat history associated with each tasks are gone after copying. The copied project is literally useless. 

@Qingfen Lin Yes, the copy project option is not very useful in it's current form.  You can submit an idea with proposed functionality and hopefully Microsoft will enhance this functionality in the future.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hi @aden2022 

If you are trying to copy a Project for the web plan (which may be added/shown in a Team in Teams!) to another team.  You can do from within the project.  When you open the project you can click on the elipse (...) on the top right of the screen and select copy project.  Once copied you will be in the live copied project.  It will have removed the resources, task progress and Microsoft365 team that the project is associated with).  You can then edit the project name and, by clicking on group members, you can add this project to another team (Anyone in the other team can then access this project and they can also add this project to their a tab within their Team).

Hope this makes sense (there are a lot of Teams mentioned!)

Duncan  

You will see the project you are working on in Teams under either recent or shared with me

View solution in original post