How do I model this scenario in MS project ?

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I need insights on how to model this below scenario in MS Project. 

I have 10 tasks; each generate a report. These 10 tasks have different durations, i.e. the reports from these tasks come on different dates. Now, I need to have a 11th task, which is to consolidate the reports from these 10 tasks. I want the start date of this 11th Task to be the date on which 1st report comes (i.e. the earliest of the finish dates of the 10 tasks) and the finish date to be the date on which last report comes (i.e. the last of the finish dates of the 10 tasks). 

If for 11th task, I put 10 tasks as predecessors and have FS for all these 10 tasks, FS will take the last of the 10 tasks and make it as the start date of 11th tasks - This is not what I want.  Similarly, SF will also now work. 

So how do I model the above scenario ? 

2 Replies

@mValmiki 

For your scenario you use what is called a "hammock task". This Wiki article will explain what it is and how to set it up:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32040.ms-project-hammock-tasks.aspx

John

Hello @mValmiki 

The attached video shows a sophisticated solution, based on the hammock tasks, also called dock, or Lapse type, which John referred to in the previous answer.

Ignacio_Martn_0-1673872602841.png

In the example shown, the report tasks are required to be grouped into a summary task.

In addition, the consolidated task that we are looking for, and which goes from the minimum finish date to the maximum finish date of all the reports, will be broken down into two auxiliary milestones, corresponding to those dates.

We will also use a custom date type field to calculate the minimum finish.

Next, we'll do two pastes with a link, so that the consolidated task is updated with the changes.

The video ends with a bit of makeup, as an example of changing the format to display, in the task table and in the Gantt chart (double click on the consolidated bar).

N.- Dynamic pasting or pasting of data with a link is a risky option, sometimes with short waits for recalculation, which should be used exceptionally.

Regards.