SOLVED

How can I create Grouping by Text Field in MS Project?

Iron Contributor

Hello.

How can I create Grouping by Text Field in MS Project like a substitution table?

BR, Vasily

9 Replies
Vasily_Zaytsev,
Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Grouping by any field is a simple matter of using the "group by" settings. What exactly do you mean by, "like a substitution table"? An example might help to explain.
John
I have Text1 Field with text values "1", "1.2", "1.3", "1.3.4". Can I group by this field with hierarhy view?

@Vasily_Zaytsev 

Okay, let's say you have something like this:

2021-09-02_09-05-30.png

And now group by the Text1 field in ascending order. This is the result:

2021-09-02_09-09-35.png

Is that what you want? If not, please provide a more detailed description with a screen shot.

John

No, I need group Text1 by Hierarchy (by WBS). There is no WBS in list for grouping.
Okay, I'm confused. You said the Text1 field but now you seem to be referring to the WBS field. So which is it? A screen shot might clear up some misunderstanding.
You could try this. Create a formula for the Text1 field that simply replicates the WBS field. Then group by Text1.

John

Hello, John

Screenshot here

Vasily_Zaytsev_0-1630650175061.png

Vasily_Zaytsev,
So, are you saying you got what you wanted? If not, please elaborate on what is missing. If so, please consider marking my response as the answer.
John

Hello, John.
But I can't group hierarchycally as I show on my screenshot. If I select Group by Text1, I have only ascending grouping.
Is it possible in MS Project. If not, please write about it.
BR, Vasily
best response confirmed by Vasily_Zaytsev (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Vasily_Zaytsev

Okay, then why not simply sort by Outline Level. This structure:

2021-09-03_08-40-38.png

Gives this result:

2021-09-03_08-41-48.png

If that doesn't work for you (i.e. you really, really, really need the grouping format), then it can be done with something like this:

2021-09-03_08-47-11.png

But if you absolutely just have to have a pure grouping format of the Text1 (e.g. WBS) field, then that can be done with some VBA.

Wow, so many options. I'm sure your head is spinning.

John

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vasily_Zaytsev (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Vasily_Zaytsev

Okay, then why not simply sort by Outline Level. This structure:

2021-09-03_08-40-38.png

Gives this result:

2021-09-03_08-41-48.png

If that doesn't work for you (i.e. you really, really, really need the grouping format), then it can be done with something like this:

2021-09-03_08-47-11.png

But if you absolutely just have to have a pure grouping format of the Text1 (e.g. WBS) field, then that can be done with some VBA.

Wow, so many options. I'm sure your head is spinning.

John

View solution in original post