SOLVED

Help on .mpp

Copper Contributor

I am new to the Microsoft Project and have been going thru tutorials. Each of the tutorials show go to File, Save As an (Project Name.mpp) in Documents or other. I have the Microsoft Project Professional, should it be stand alone on task bar or grouped with my other apps on Edge. I am not finding any area to open and show Project.mpp  Any help please.

JC

10 Replies
JCNadainfo,
The only reason your apps would be on Edge is if they are subscription versions. For example, for Project you might have plan1, plan3 or plan5 which are all subscription versions. However, you indicate you have Project Pro which is normally the stand alone desktop version of Project (e.g. Project 2019, 2022). It sounds like the tutorials you've been reading are referencing the GUI associated with the stand alone desktop version.

So, what exactly do you have?

John

Do you also have a link to the tutorials as that might help us understand what you are expecting.

Paul

Paul, I think your reply was meant for JCNadainfo.
Joh

It was @John-project , I just hit reply on the last thread. @JCNadainfo 

JCNadainfo --

You are not using the Microsoft Project desktop application. You are using the relatively new Project for the Web application. Because of that, the tutorials you have seen are not relevant to you, so you should ignore them. You will need to create your own projects directly through the Project for the Web application. Hope this helps.

@JCNadainfo I appreciate the replies that I received from my post for help. My account says that I have: Subscription Product, Microsoft Project Online Desktop Client and when open it shows Project Professional at the top. I had searched Microsoft Project in Google to learn a little about it and ran some test Project samples but, according to the tutorials I watched on You Tube, it showed saving as an .mpp in Project.mpp and that was when I started questioning this more. I have been tasked to learn CDW, SQL, PBI (Power BI) and this. I thought maybe the Project Planner was like PBI. So, I guess that this Project Planner is just a stand alone App?

Apr 11 2023 05:22 AM

@JCNadainfo I appreciate the replies that I received from my post for help. My account says that I have: Subscription Product, Microsoft Project Online Desktop Client and when open it shows Project Professional at the top. I had searched Microsoft Project in Google to learn a little about it and ran some test Project samples but, according to the tutorials I watched on You Tube, it showed saving as an .mpp in Project.mpp and that was when I started questioning this more. I have been tasked to learn CDW, SQL, PBI (Power BI) and this. I thought maybe the Project Planner was like PBI. So, I guess that this Project Planner is just a stand alone App?
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hello @JCNadainfo ,

You are using the Project Desktop client, sounds like those videos were referring to other Microsoft Project products such as Project for the web or Project Online / Project Server. 

The Project desktop app wont appear in Edge like other apps as seen below:

PaulMather_0-1681220353483.png

Project desktop is a desktop app and can be launched from Windows by searching:

PaulMather_1-1681220436840.png

Then use the File Open / File save menu to save .mpp files just like you would when opening / saving Word .doc files.

Paul

Thank you Paul, It is good up to the point of the .mpp and there is no where that it is coming up as I can save as a Project (Type) only and if need be I can just go with that. Maybe it is our OIT download because I see Microsoft Project 2007 yet, on my ticket I see Microsoft Project Desktop 2016 and about to throw in the towel on this app. I will check with our OIT and see if they have a clue also. Thanks again to all.
On the initial save it does not show the .mpp however, it actually did save as a .mpp file and everything is working great. Thank you all for the feedback and help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

Hello @JCNadainfo ,

You are using the Project Desktop client, sounds like those videos were referring to other Microsoft Project products such as Project for the web or Project Online / Project Server. 

The Project desktop app wont appear in Edge like other apps as seen below:

PaulMather_0-1681220353483.png

Project desktop is a desktop app and can be launched from Windows by searching:

PaulMather_1-1681220436840.png

Then use the File Open / File save menu to save .mpp files just like you would when opening / saving Word .doc files.

Paul

View solution in original post