Getting Work Contour in Project for the Web

Copper Contributor

Hi

In Project for the Web, the new Assignments view has been released recently. We would like to get to that data for reporting, for heatmaps and other reports.

I've figured out that the Project for the Web schedule page reads from the PSS API using this call to actually read it: /pss/api/v1.0/projects(projectid)/assignments/?$select=taskId,percentWorkComplete,resourceId,work,start,finish,totalWorkContour&$startDate=2022-12-01T00:00:00.000Z&$endDate=2022-12-08T00:00:00.000Z&$segmentLengthInHours=24

It uses updateWorkContour to then update. I've found msdyn_UpdateAssignmentEffortContour in the Resource Assignments bound actions in Power Automate, and msdyn_PssUpdateResourceAssignmentContourV1 in the unbound actions.

Of course, those don't help me, because I need to know what the current values are before trying to update them, or what I actually want to do to which is report.
We initially thought that the data is stored on the msdyn_resourceassignment table, in msdyn_plannedwork, but realised that it only stores Remaining Work, once you start changing the progress on the assignment the completed days goes away.

Does anyone know if there's a way to read the data using the DataVerse API? There's nothing I can find in the CSDL $metadata either

10 Replies

Hi @Mandarb565 

This planned work information is included in the updated version of the Power BI reports included within the Project Accelerator up on Github.

There is a table called "Resource Timephase" which breaks resource demand into day records.  If you add a custom day-to-day table( eg. DayByDay = Calendar("01/01/2021","01/01/2024") ) and create a relationship back to the "Resource Timephase" table you can then build out your own resource demand reports.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply,
That's the msdyn_plannedwork column I mentioned. It effectively shows only Remaining Work once you change the effort complete or percentage complete. As an example, the below task I had 40 hours assigned. The left hand side is the planned work column before I changed the percentage to 25%. The first two days are removed, shown in red on the right hand side.
This works for some reports, but not for everything we need.

Mandarb565_0-1679996331735.png

Oh, and the Assignment view keeps that data

Mandarb565_0-1679996618706.png

I logged a ticket with Microsoft to ask if the data that dissappears from msdyn_planned work is a bug or by design. Their response was that it is expected behaviour, but they'll look in the near future at improving it.
Hi Mandar, did you find a way to get all the days that have Work and not just ReamainingWork?
At this point no. We were thinking of trying to calculate it ourselves but that gets very complicated, or saving it somewhere when the task is assigned, but again then you have to figure out what to do when it changes while the project is in progress. There's ways to get it, just effort we haven't seen a business case for quite yet.
Last I checked the behaviour hasn't changed, and I haven't tried to see if we can extract it from a service with the latest updates.
Thanks, one way I`m doing it right now, using power automate, is to update EffortCompleted to 0, get all days, then reupdate the EffortCompleted.
I`ve opened a ticket with Microsoft to see where are they storing that data. Will let you know.

Any news about this topic?

I need the hours in time (in the past) also when the remaining hours are 0.

Microsoft wasn`t able to help me about this, they said they will look into the future for this.

@Robert94  - I work for a Microsoft Partner and have also raised this issue.  It is on their backlog (will update if I hear a solution is being progressed).