SOLVED

Gantt for specific resourced tasks

Copper Contributor

Still struggling with this ... Is it possible to show and print a Gantt of tasks associated with a specific resource?? I would like to do this from a master schedule. 

For example, I would like to see a Gantt of tasks in all projects in the Master Schedule assigned to only welders over a few months. Is this even possible? For me this is important to help with shop loading, by seeing  how the resources are allocated and when the tasks are scheduled to start and stop.

Thanks, 

Cam

9 Replies
Cschreiber --

Yes, this is possible. Open the master schedule and then click the View tab to display the View ribbon. In the Data section of the View ribbon, click the Filter pick list button and select the Using Resource... filter. In the Using Resource dialog, select (or enter) the name of the resource whose tasks you want to view, and then click the OK button. Hope this helps.
Dale,
Thanks sooo much for your help. I feel I'm getting closer. I have not been able to get the resourced tasks from the Master Schedule, but I can with each sub-project schedule. I noticed when I'm in the Master schedule, the Resources Usage filter does not provide a drop down list, however, in the sub project schedules it does. I believe this means the requested filter view isn't communicating with the resource sheet, I think??
Do you have any idea what's gone wrong? I have a feeling it may be an ID-10-T error, LOL!
best response confirmed by CSchreiber (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Cschreiber --

In a master project, the dialog does not show a drop down list. You have to type the name of the resource whose tasks you want to see. It is an oddity of master projects. Try typing a resource name and then confirm whether the filter works or not, and then let us know.
CSchreiber,
If I may step in. The reason you don't see the drop down when using the "Using Resource" filter at master level is because there are no resources in the master, so there's nothing to "drop down".
John
Thanks again Dale,
I tried typing the resource name in the dialogue box, still no joy
Cschreiber --

Out of curiosity, if you click the AutoFilter pick list button in the Resource Names column header of the Gantt Chart view, can you see the resources listed in each of the subprojects? Please let us know and we will try to help you.
CSchreiber,
Once again, pardon my bumping in. Are you sure you typed the resource name exactly as it is shown on the Resource Sheet? Resource "Bob" is not the same as resource "bob".
John
Resource Usage by typing ( correctly) the resource name. And... Viola!, It worked! I guess the secret here is to ensure that all sub-projects in the Master schedule are fully expanded before filtering. You both provided great advice to troubleshoot and get into the right thought process. Again, thanks so very much!!
CSchreiber,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by CSchreiber (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Cschreiber --

In a master project, the dialog does not show a drop down list. You have to type the name of the resource whose tasks you want to see. It is an oddity of master projects. Try typing a resource name and then confirm whether the filter works or not, and then let us know.

View solution in original post