SOLVED

Gantt Chart not refreshing after changing Bar Style

Copper Contributor

I am a first time MS project user and have this product as part of Office 365. I was trying to add the Task Name to the left of the Gantt Chart bar against each task. By default, the Gantt chart was showing the Resource Name on the right. I then right clicked on the Gantt Chart pane, selected Bar Styles, clicked on the Text tab and selected Name for the Left field and clicked OK. However, nothing changes in the Gantt chart. Similarly, even if I remove Resource Name from the Right field, nothing changes, and I can still see the Resource Name in the Gantt Chart on the right of the bars. Is this a bug or am I missing some setting? Appreciate your time. Thanks.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by thelonestar (Copper Contributor)
Solution
thelonestar --

Since you are a new user of Microsoft Project, I suspect that you are using Manually Scheduled tasks in your project since that is the default Task Mode setting for all new tasks. If this is the case, that would be the cause of your problem, as I think you probably changed the settings for tasks that are NOT Manually Scheduled (these would be called Auto Scheduled tasks).

If I have correctly diagnosed the cause of the problem, the solution would be to change the settings for the Manual Task line item in the Bar Styles dialog. Hope this helps.
Yes Dale...that is exactly what the problem was. Thanks a lot. So the only way to assign the Task Name if all my tasks are manually scheduled, would be to individually change it for each bar in the gantt chart, is it ?
No, if all of your tasks are Manually Scheduled, display the Bar Styles dialog and then change the settings for the Manual Task line item. This will update all of your Manually Scheduled tasks in a single action. No need to do it one task at a time.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by thelonestar (Copper Contributor)
Solution
thelonestar --

Since you are a new user of Microsoft Project, I suspect that you are using Manually Scheduled tasks in your project since that is the default Task Mode setting for all new tasks. If this is the case, that would be the cause of your problem, as I think you probably changed the settings for tasks that are NOT Manually Scheduled (these would be called Auto Scheduled tasks).

If I have correctly diagnosed the cause of the problem, the solution would be to change the settings for the Manual Task line item in the Bar Styles dialog. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post