FILE TASK DATES CHANGE UPON OPENING FILE

Copper Contributor

Hello All.  Need a fix for Project file issue.  and Individual emailed out a Project file to several of us. However, when I open the file some of the dates change from 2023 to 2025 and 2026.

I asked one other person who received the file to open it, his dates are the corrrect dates (2023-24).  He forwarded me his file, but the dates change upon opening.

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THE TASK DATES TO CHANGE WHEN I OPEN THE FILE?

I tried closing and reopening Project.  Tried saving the file directly from email.  

a resolution would be much appreciated.

7 Replies
willard800,
Take a look at your option settings for Project. Do you perhaps have your option set to use a non-default fiscal year for all new projects (e.g. July instead of January)? Or, do you have your option set for all auto scheduled tasks to start on the current date for all new projects?

John
Thanks for your reply John. No to both. Default Fiscal Yr start January. 2) New projects - New tasks = Manually Scheduled
willard800,
Are all the tasks in the project that was sent to you manually scheduled? What happens if you change them to auto-scheduled?

Try changing your options so that scheduling applies to the project in question instead of for "new projects".

John
all tasks are Auto Scheduled. all are ASAP with one must start on. I changed the one constraint to ASAP, didn't change anything
"Schedule Option for this project" IS set to the File name (not New projects)
willard800,
For reference, what version of Project are you using? And may I assume the file is a single stand alone file and not part of a resource pool or part of a master project?

I'd ask you to send me the file but I'm guessing it will open fine for me, just like your colleagues.

What is the Project calendar (i.e. Standard or customized)?

John
ver 2019. yes, a stand alone file. Not sure if its part of a master file, but possible (its customer file).
unfortunately, I cannot send the file out.
Odd that the links are Not working properly. For instance, Task A show a start of '2026 but has a pred of task #14 (which ends may '23) with No Lag. I unlink the pred, Task A now shows start same as Project start. as it should. I re-link task 14 as a pred then Task A Start jumps to a 2026 date! tried this on a couple of tasks with same result.
willard800,
Do you by chance have your leveling options set to automatic?

I understand that you can't provide your file but how about a couple of screen shots.
1. A screen shot showing "Task A" and task #14 (predecessor). I'd like to see these fields
Indicators, Start, Finish, Duration, Constraint type, Task calendar, Resource Names, Predecessors, % Complete
2. A screen shot showing your option settings for the Schedule group . Scheduling options for this project.

John