SOLVED

Copy a 'Project For the Web' aka Templates

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I was searching on uservoice to see if other people also were interested in using templates. As it is not available at the moment I started looking for a workaround. I found a way to make it work for me and thought it might be useful to share it here. Here goes:

Step 1: Make your "template" project.
-Set all columns in the grid and in all board views.
-Add your team to the plan.
-Add all tasks, dependencies etc and assign the tasks to your team members.

Step 2: Make a new plan. This will become your "copy to work" on.
-Create and arrange all columns in the grid view and all boards exactly as they are in the "template".
-Add your team to the plan

Step 3:
-Go to your "Template" and select all tasks. Click on the three dots and select "copy"
-Now open your "work copy" in a new tab in the same browser
-Create one task.
-Click on the three dots at the end of the task and select "paste"

You now have a copy of your template with most of the things copied over. Task assignments still fail to copy over from time to time. And it is essential that you arrange your columns in the different views in exactly the same order as in the template.

Hope it helps.

3 Replies

@Emanuel van der Aalst Thanks for the tip! Have you found a simpler approach / has Microsoft created the ability to copy whole Projects? 

best response confirmed by Emanuel van der Aalst (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Emanuel van der Aalst You can now copy projects! Go to the project, hit the title, then when the details pane pops up, click the "..." in the top right corner. You'll see "Copy project" now available!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Emanuel van der Aalst (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Emanuel van der Aalst You can now copy projects! Go to the project, hit the title, then when the details pane pops up, click the "..." in the top right corner. You'll see "Copy project" now available!

View solution in original post