SOLVED

clarification on renaming subprojects

Brass Contributor
Hello to all,
I would like to ask for a clarification on the renaming of subprojects.
In few words, when I create a subproject with a link to a file, a name of an old project of mine appears as the subproject name. 
It seems that somewhere in the linked file that old name is stored there. To be renamed, I have to do it twice: - renaming first time - saving and as result, it is restored the old name - renaming again - saving succesful.
Do You know where come from the information on the task name of the subprojects?
Thanks in advance
Demetrio
4 Replies
best response confirmed by demetrio61 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
demestrio61 --

I can tell you EXACTLY where the subproject name is coming from. Open one of the troublesome subprojects. Click File > Info. In the upper right corner of the Info page, click the Project Information pick list button and select the Advanced Properties item. In the Properties dialog, enter the correct name of the project in the Title field and then click the OK button. Save and close the project. You will need to repeat this process for each of your subprojects. After doing so, when you open your master project, you will see the correct name of each subproject. Hope this helps.
Perfect!
Demetrio
Demetrio,
I assume you are referring to the subproject name as it appears in the task Name field in the master file. That name is NOT the name of the file (as saved or renamed), rather it is the name associated with the Project Summary Task of the subproject (i.e. subproject task ID 0).

However, if you are working with linked structures in Project (e.g. master/subprojects) you need to be aware of some unwritten rules to avoid corruption of the structure. Never rename, move, overwrite or "save off" to another location any of the files in the structure. Ideally all files should be in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

John
John,
I agree with You
Thanks a lot for your warning
demetrio
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by demetrio61 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
demestrio61 --

I can tell you EXACTLY where the subproject name is coming from. Open one of the troublesome subprojects. Click File > Info. In the upper right corner of the Info page, click the Project Information pick list button and select the Advanced Properties item. In the Properties dialog, enter the correct name of the project in the Title field and then click the OK button. Save and close the project. You will need to repeat this process for each of your subprojects. After doing so, when you open your master project, you will see the correct name of each subproject. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post