Auto-update project after editing template

Copper Contributor

We need to create a custom template to manage a series of projects with similar structure. As this is an on-going process, the templates are likely to evolve over time.

I'd like to create my projects based on the template and, if any change to the template is done, see it automatically reflected in all projects based on it. As an example, I may need to add a milestone task in the middle of my plan, and I need it for all instanced projects.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Luca

1 Reply

Hello @luca_vezza,

Unfortunately this is not possible out of the box, when creating a project from a template, the project gets created with the tasks from the template at that point in time. Later changes to the project template will not be reflected in previously created projects. It would not be a simple process to keep live inflight projects, where the tasks / structure of the project would / could change, in sync with a project template. 
You could look to build something custom maybe based on your business logic / rules, you could build a Microsoft Project VSTO add-in etc. where the user could click a button on the ribbon to update the project with any new tasks you define. I guess the consistent option would be to place any new tasks at the end of the schedule rather than inserting the tasks.

Paul