SOLVED

Auto adjusting durations

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am starting to lean Project and I am having a hard time trying to set up to have the following happen.

Task A,B, and C are each set to 5 day duration.  They are currently linked so they start one after the other (A-B-C) for a total of 15 days.  I am trying to set it up so that if task A is completed early (say 3 days instead of 5) that task B will automatically adjust to show 7 days of availably (5 original plus the 2 from task A).  I would like it to adjust for the previous task completing early (or late but I hope that does not happen).  Thank you for any help you can provide.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Nathan2846 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Nathan2846,
Sorry but Project doesn't work that way. Project schedules dynamically, so if three tasks are linked finish to start and the first finishes earlier or later, the other two will dynamically move. That's the whole point.

However, what you can do to track the change is to save a baseline and then view the Tracking Gantt Chart. The current schedule will still move dynamically but you will also see the original plan in the baseline Gantt Bars.

Hope this helps.
John
John,
I had a feeling that I might have to do it that way but I had to ask. Thank you for your response!

Respectfully,
Nathan
Nathan,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Nathan2846 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Nathan2846,
Sorry but Project doesn't work that way. Project schedules dynamically, so if three tasks are linked finish to start and the first finishes earlier or later, the other two will dynamically move. That's the whole point.

However, what you can do to track the change is to save a baseline and then view the Tracking Gantt Chart. The current schedule will still move dynamically but you will also see the original plan in the baseline Gantt Bars.

Hope this helps.
John

View solution in original post