Adding Multiple choice columns to Tasks in P4W

Copper Contributor

Hello guys,

I need to add multiple choice columns to Project for The Web "Tasks" with cascading behavior; selecting an option from one choice column shall limit the options listed in subsequent choice columns.

Tasks tab where project execution plan is built from scratch is showing the option to add custom choice columns but with no interdependency between columns. Any idea how can I achieve my goal here?  

Prefer if we've some way to import the options for each column from excel/ csv file instead of righting them manually one by one. One of the choice list shall have 30+ options

I've deployed P4W on a non-default environment to make sure I've full control over it

SayedNasr_0-1684764943050.png

3 Replies

Searching if anyone had faced same issue, I found that:

1. Adding custom fields from Task Grid won't help. You can export Task list from Task Grid with all fields including the custom ones you add manually from the grid but it'll not reflect to the "Project Task" Dataverse table. Then, you can't recall such custom fields on Power BI for example or other apps.
  2. Adding custom fields through the Power App interface itself can't be shown in the "Task Grid"

Is forking the Task Grid and having my version of it an option?

SayedNasr --

What you want to do cannot be done currently in Project for the Web. Nor could it be done in the Microsoft Project desktop app either. In either application, it is not possible to select a value from a pick list in one column, and then to display a customized list in the second column, based on the value selected in the first column. Furthermore, you cannot import a project from an Excel workbook into Project for the Web. Sorry, but hope this helps.

Thanks Dale. It's disappointing how P4W is built on a fully customizable platform like power apps -at least as per MS claims- but we stuck in such simple customization needs.