24/7 resources in Project for the Web

Copper Contributor

Hello,
in addition to work packages I would like to schedule several production steps in a Project. For this purpose, I have created a resource (3D printer) in Power Apps and set its working time to 24/7. If I now assign an task with a duration of 10 hours to the printer, the effort is set to 26 hours and is also displayed accordingly in the timeline. I don't understand why.

I then tried to set the effort instead of the duration. However, if I enter e.g. 30 hours there, the duration and display in the timeline remains at one day.

So the question is: How do I schedule 24/7 resources correctly? Actually, duration and effort should always be the same. Or what do I understand wrong?

Julian

5 Replies

@nJulian415 

First of all how exactly did you set the 3D printer resource's calendar to 24/7? The best way to do that is to simply use the built-in 24 calendar as the Base Calendar for the printer. Assuming the Project Calendar is the default Standard, assigning the printer resource to a 10h task will result in the following:

2023-03-28_08-41-16.png

Without further details on how you set things up I can't tell why you see a work content of 26 hours.

John

Thanks, @John-project.

I am working in the web version of Project so things look slightly different. 

Here's how I set it up:

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 19.34.21.pngBildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 19.34.47.png

nJulian415,
I'll ask my colleague Dale to jump in on this one. He knows Project for the Web inside and out, I don't.

Update: I contacted Dale and he said that functionality of Project for the Web has never worked correctly. At this point the best I can offer is for you to give feedback to Microsoft via whatever feedback portal there is for PFTW. Understand that PFTW is a work in progress and Microsoft is improving and adding features all the time. You can check out the PFTW roadmap at:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Project

Sorry I can't be of more help.
John

oh wow, that’s really a bummer. How can such a basic feature not work properly? We‘ll need to switch to a different product then. 
thanks anyway, @John-project 

nJulian415,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John