PowerPoint for Mac - how to remove "upload pending" items from "recent" list?

Brass Contributor

I have two files that are in upload pending state since yesterday. They are both pointing to SharePoint locations and neither of those files exist on SharePoint. Seems like these are files that could not be uploaded. (see screenshot attached)

I am unable to delete, resolve or discard changes and I'd just like to remove those entries from my recent list. 

Is there a way to delete the underlying "cache" on macos? I know in Windows there is an upload center, but I don't know how to remove those two on a Mac. 

6 Replies

I have had the same problem for almost a YEAR. I have done EVERYTHING I've read on internet. 

No solution so far....

@Romit Mehta 

@Maxi_93 and for others with the same issue: you can reset PowerPoint back to its default settings by wiping its data directory -- please note the instructions below may reset some preferences and will delete pending documents that have yet to be uploaded to O365.

1. Quit PowerPoint if it is open.

2. Click on Finder in the dock to open a file browser

3. Press Cmd+Shift+G to open the Go To window. Paste this into the text field: ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Powerpoint

4. You should see one folder "Data". Trash it.

5. Open PowerPoint.

PowerPoint should show the first-time welcome screen and your recent documents will no longer be pending upload. If you wish to undo this change, move the Data folder from the trash back into the ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Powerpoint folder from step 3.

@stewartadam 

A huge THANK YOU as I've been trying to solve this for more than a year...had tried to clear caches but nothing... you solution solved it, and has been the only one... worked for Excel and Word, substituting the relevant "app" at the end of the script. Thanks once more!

This works! I used it for pinned Excel files that wouldn't go away. Thank you!!!
This also works for Word by substituting ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Powerpoint for ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word and allowed me to get rid of a file that fortunately only plagued me for a few hours.

@Romit Mehta 

A permanent fix for this is to disable ipv6 on your mac (works on windows too). To do this, go to network settings, wifi, details, change ipv6 to manual > apply. Once done, close all MS apps, re-open and it should be fixed.