Announcing PowerApps web part (preview) for SharePoint Online

Microsoft

We are pleased to announce the preview of the PowerApps web part for SharePoint Online.

PowerApps web part (preview)PowerApps web part (preview)

PowerApps is a service that lets you build business apps that run in a browser or on a phone or tablet, with no coding experience required. Once you have created or customized an app using the service, you can add it to your SharePoint page with the PowerApps web part. 

Getting started

To get started, just add the PowerApps web part from the toolbox and then enter the app's URL or the ID in the property pane. You can grab the app's URL or the ID from your apps page in PowerApps.

Edit PowerApps web part (preview)Edit PowerApps web part (preview)

Web part features

Below are some of the key benefits of using the PowerApps web part to embed your apps on a SharePoint page:

• The Web part automatically signs you into PowerApps.
  • The Web part automatically scales the app to a best fit in the canvas.
  • If you do not like the best fit, you can resize the app (up to the app's max size) using the resizer control.
  • Yes, it works in your SharePoint mobile app.

Release details

We are releasing this web part as a preview, so we can gather feedback and monitor the app's performance. We expect the web part to start rolling out to our customers in Targeted Release in early May 2018.

PowerApps web part (preview)PowerApps web part (preview)

We are excited for you to start using the PowerApps web part and we would love to hear your feedback!

Notes

• Adding the app on a page does not automatically give users permissions to use the app. Users must be granted access to view the app. To learn how to share apps with specific users or security groups, or with your entire organization, see Share an app in PowerApps
  • PowerApps are designed to work best with fixed sizes. For page layout purposes, apps that use a portrait orientation usually fit well in a one-third or three-column layout. Apps that use a landscape orientation usually fit well in a one-column layout. 
  • The PowerApps web part (preview) for SharePoint Online does not yet support screen readers or keyboard navigation.
45 Replies

Its not appeared in my Tenancy yet and I am on the first ring.

It cannot come soon enough !

No, referring to @niels johansen Comment regarding responsive forms

Responsive forms (model-driven): 

"To change the design mode, click on "Canvas" in the lower left of PowerApps Portal to expand the switcher, then click on "Model-driven"."

Reference:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-model-driven-apps/

@Wes Preston - I know, gone over it at least 5 times! I don't have it on my Powerapp Portal
Great to see this in our tenant. Really looking forward to be leveraging this feature a lot more within our organisation.

Having said that, when will it be possible to use excel spread sheets stored on SharePoint as a data source? It is already possible to do so from one's OneDrive ...

Hi

Yes I also have it in my tenancy !

Thanks @Chakkaradeep !

Regards

Nigel

@Philine von Guretzky wrote:
Great to see this in our tenant. Really looking forward to be leveraging this feature a lot more within our organisation.

Having said that, when will it be possible to use excel spread sheets stored on SharePoint as a data source? It is already possible to do so from one's OneDrive ...

Thanks! Would love to see how you use the web part!

I am not aware of a feature that would allow choosing an excel spreadsheet from SharePoint as the data source. I would suggest adding it to the PowerApps Ideas.

Hi All,

The web part has started its rollout. If you are in targeted release, please check your tenancy to see if the web part is available for you to use.

We are so excited and would love to see how you use the web part in your organization. Please do share a screenshot of the page here in this post or you can send a message to me if you don't want to share it publicly! :)

Thanks,

Chaks

Hi Chaks,

there are at least two suggestions already and by the looks of it is has been in the plan for over a year now. Would be great to hear about progress on this.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Allow-Connection-to-Excel-Files-stored-within-Sh...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Sharepoint-Folder-as-datasource/idi-p/24112

Does the PowerApps Web Part support PowerApps SharePoint WebForms?

Tried to integrate a form but I could not find the App ID. How can I add a SharePoint list form that I converted to PowerApps to a modern page?

Hi,

Just to confirm, Is this release ready to be used?

Thanks,

As somebody extolling the virtues of SharePoint and Powerapps in a large organization that supports visually impaired people I would like to know if the statement that the app does not yet support screen readers and keystroke navigation means this is something you are working on supporting and if there is any indication of when this would be achieved.  Without it I can demonstrate the power of the tool all I like but I won't be allowed to use it as many of my visually impaired colleagues and service users will be completely unable to use it.

Hi Jeff,

It does appear to work with customized SharePoint list forms and I've managed to add a new item, but I haven't had a chance to fully test it yet.

@Chakkaradeep - is this an officially supported use case?

To get the PowerApps ID, select 'Customize forms' from the SharePoint list menu.

You should see the ID displayed at the end of the url that's displayed in the address bar when the form opens up in the PowerApps web client.

I can also find it via the PowerApps Admin Centre (although you might need a Plan 2 licence for this), by selecting the default environment, then click the relevant app and the ID should be displayed at the bottom of the 'Details' screen.

Note: to display a new item form in the web part, I had to change the DefaultMode to FormMode.New (SharePointForm1 > Advanced), but as I said I haven't extensively tested this.

All the best,

Geraint

Hi Chaks,

It's great to finally be able to use it!!

Could you let me know where the best place would be to post feature requests for the web part? It would be great if it could include the ability to select the 'Form' and/or 'Form Mode' that's initially displayed.

Many thanks,

Geraint

Well it looks like the PowerApps web part hit my tenant last night. As a result I am going to say Microsoft I HATE YOU. Mostly because it looks like the PowerApps web part broke the List View > New Item button. Now when I go to create a new item from the List View web part I am sent to the classic New Item page. The new item page does work if you go to the list and then click on new item and the PowerApp custom form shows up just like it normally did. 

So now I have an all company launch this afternoon and all my nice PowerApps forms are broken from the Pages I created to describe the list content. 

Available for SharePoint sites with guest access enabled?

@Ross Woodward wrote:

As somebody extolling the virtues of SharePoint and Powerapps in a large organization that supports visually impaired people I would like to know if the statement that the app does not yet support screen readers and keystroke navigation means this is something you are working on supporting and if there is any indication of when this would be achieved.  Without it I can demonstrate the power of the tool all I like but I won't be allowed to use it as many of my visually impaired colleagues and service users will be completely unable to use it.

Yes, we are actively working with PowerApps team so business users can build apps that are accessible by default. I don't have a timeline but this is currently being worked on.

@Jeff Banks wrote:

Does the PowerApps Web Part support PowerApps SharePoint WebForms?

Tried to integrate a form but I could not find the App ID. How can I add a SharePoint list form that I converted to PowerApps to a modern page?

The web part currently does not support custom list forms as forms are technically not apps. The current plan is that we will have a separate list forms web part that will support displaying custom forms than using the generic PowerApps web part.

@Bernard Welmers wrote:

Well it looks like the PowerApps web part hit my tenant last night. As a result I am going to say Microsoft I HATE YOU. Mostly because it looks like the PowerApps web part broke the List View > New Item button. Now when I go to create a new item from the List View web part I am sent to the classic New Item page. The new item page does work if you go to the list and then click on new item and the PowerApp custom form shows up just like it normally did. 

So now I have an all company launch this afternoon and all my nice PowerApps forms are broken from the Pages I created to describe the list content. 

I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, the PowerApps web part does not affect lists and libraries. 

Did you create a custom list form but not deploy to that list? It would be helpful if you can create a new post regarding the issue as it will help us help you than discussing in this web part thread.

Thanks!

@geraint james wrote:

Hi Jeff,

It does appear to work with customized SharePoint list forms and I've managed to add a new item, but I haven't had a chance to fully test it yet.

@Chakkaradeep - is this an officially supported use case?

To get the PowerApps ID, select 'Customize forms' from the SharePoint list menu.

You should see the ID displayed at the end of the url that's displayed in the address bar when the form opens up in the PowerApps web client.

I can also find it via the PowerApps Admin Centre (although you might need a Plan 2 licence for this), by selecting the default environment, then click the relevant app and the ID should be displayed at the bottom of the 'Details' screen.

Note: to display a new item form in the web part, I had to change the DefaultMode to FormMode.New (SharePointForm1 > Advanced), but as I said I haven't extensively tested this.

All the best,

Geraint

List custom forms are not currently not supported in the web part as forms are not apps. However, the current plan is to build a list forms web part that can handle list forms scenarios without needing to do any hacks to make it work :) - Stay tuned for more updates!