Using the combobox to search for multiple terms from a lookUp-column in a SharePoint list.

Copper Contributor

Hello, everybody,
I've been stuck for quite a while now with a major problem when using LookUp linked SharePoint lists in Powerapps.

My goal:
To filter a list of entries using the combo box. The list (List1) to be searched has a lookup column that can hold multiple values from another column of another table (List2). A sketch of the setup in SharePoint and in PowerApps looks like this:

PowerApps-Combobox-LookUp-Problem.png

My basic approach is as follows:
1. the combo box gets the values from List 2 via List2.Title
2. the Gallery or DataTable for List1 displays the results depending on the multi-selected values for List 2 from the combo box.

Example:

• If "Alpha" is selected in the combo box, ListItem 1 and ListItem2 appear
  • If "Beta" is selected in the combo box, ListItems 2 and ListItem3 appear
  • If "Beta" and "Gamma" are selected in the combo box, only ListItem 2 appears

=> In short, it should work like an AND search.

The core problem for me is that I do not have a value in a column field to check, but a table within the column field. I would prefer a Gallery, but I can already see with Data-Table that it does not identify the look-up values in List1, but only outputs them as "Object".

Am I on the right track? I just need a nudge in the right direction. Do I perhaps need another approach? I am extremely grateful for any kind of help!

Many greetings

2 Replies

@Collab-Constructor_93  your example doesn't make sense to me:

• If "Beta" is selected in the combo box, ListItems 2 and ListItem3 appear
  • If "Beta" and "Gamma" are selected in the combo box, only ListItem 2 appears

Because if Beta is selected then ListItems 2 and 3 should appear and also whatever Gamma is supposed to display as you are wanting it like an AND search. Your logic doesn't seem quite right.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.

Hi @Rob Elliott

and thanks for your reply!
Basically i want it to work like this way:

Show me all records from the List to be filtered, which contain at minimum the selected items from the combobox.

So if I only select „Beta“ Show me all records, which contain „Beta“ in the corresponding column.

If I select Beta And Gamma show me only records, which contain both entries in the corresponding column.

Sorry if my example didn‘t reflect this idea. Whirh And search i tried to refer to the case, when I set multiple Filters in an Excel Sheet.