SOLVED

Update a word document with the SharePoint list items

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

I have a SharePoint list which has the following fields/columns.

• Item name (text filed)
  • Price (text filed)
  • Requested date (date)
  • Approval status (drop down): New, Approved, Rejected 
  • Approval Comments (multiple text filed)

I also have a word template document which has all the above fields. (I inserted them with Developer text tool).

When an user adds/creates an item in the SharePoint list, I want automatically a new word document to be created from the word template document and all SharePoint list's fields to be populated into this new word document.

First user initially creates and item in SharePoint list and completes the following fields in the list.

• Item name
  • Price
  • Requested date
  • Approval status: New

Based on this: a document will be created and those 4 fields above will be populated into the word document.
I have done this step by creating a power automate flow with the following steps:

• When an item is created
  • Populate a Microsoft word template
  • Create a file

My question is this:

At some point later, a second user will update the list’s item with the followings:

• Approval status: Approved/Rejected 
  • Approval Comments

I need a second flow to populate/update those 2 fields into the same word document that was created earlier with other 4 columns.

PowerAutomate-Image.png

4 Replies

@Diyaribozik565 Check below thread for suggested solutions, it might work for you: Power Automate - Update Word Document 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Thanks @ganeshsanap.

Unfurtunattly, that is not what I am after.

Any oteher suggestions?
best response confirmed by Diyaribozik565 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Diyaribozik565 

You get item list, create a new word populated with list item.

At this stage, may be keep document link (unique ID) in the sharepoint list in order to get it and update it with approval status ?

Hi @Diyaribozik565, what if you added an approval step to the same workflow? The approver can approve/reject and add comments directly from their inbox. That response could write to your list and then the workflow step after approval could be to update the file content.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Diyaribozik565 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Diyaribozik565 

You get item list, create a new word populated with list item.

At this stage, may be keep document link (unique ID) in the sharepoint list in order to get it and update it with approval status ?

View solution in original post