SOLVED

SharePoint column index case sensitive?

Copper Contributor

Hello there, I have a problem syncing two lists. I have a new SP list with an index on a message Id value. When copying items from the old list I get a failure on the first item.

...6osWST5UYqWSnJVOwAAR6_BOzAAA=

...6osWST5UYqWSnJVOwAAR6_BOZAAA=

The Id's are the same in all but case. My flow error is

"status"400,
  "message""The list item could not be added or updated because duplicate values were found in the following field(s) {EventID]

I didn't expect this as I assumed the index would be case-sensitive and allow both items. 
Does anyone know if this is true?
4 Replies

@daleflemming Is your "EventID" column set to have unique values in list? 

ganeshsanap_0-1664516470865.png

If yes, you cannot add new item with duplicate EventID in list. Either you have to use different EventID or change column settings to allow duplicate values.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thank you. I understand but these two values are not duplicates.
best response confirmed by daleflemming (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@daleflemming Also, SharePoint unique columns are not case-sensitive.

If you have previously used "ABC" as column value for one of the list item, it will not allow you to use the "abc" OR "AbC" OR "aBC", etc. again: 

ganeshsanap_0-1664517420494.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thanks for clarifying that. I'll work around it.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by daleflemming (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@daleflemming Also, SharePoint unique columns are not case-sensitive.

If you have previously used "ABC" as column value for one of the list item, it will not allow you to use the "abc" OR "AbC" OR "aBC", etc. again: 

ganeshsanap_0-1664517420494.png

View solution in original post