SOLVED

PowerApps Licensing

Copper Contributor

Hi, I need some help to understand how PowerApps are licensed.

Use case:

We're using a mixture of tools: devops,  (Alteryx), SQL on prem, PowerApps

Looking to create an approval flow, that is quite customised.  

New task created in devops > alteryx uses api to extract all information into SQL Server on prem, approver gets notified of task to review > opens powerapp and clicks approve / reject > approve/reject pushed back to sql server > alteryx then waits until all 4 approvers responses are received > pushes outcome to devops 

Trying to understand how the licensing structure works for PowerApps: Are we charged by each end user? Alternatively if we have office 365, is it only the developer who creates the application requires additional licensing (so we can push data back to on prem sql server), and the approvers are covered by O365?

There are mixed messages across the net, and it would seem cost prohibitive to scale 1 app if there is a per user per month cost. 

I've tried reading MS' licensing pdf (found> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus) and I can't get my head around it. 

Appreciate your help! 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VizChic (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yup, they more or less stiffled feasibility for people just getting into the Power Platform with the new license scheme. You have to license everyone that uses an app that has a connection to a premium datasource/connector. So in your case if they do anything in the app, and that connector is part of the app itself, then they need a license.

Now they do have the smaller, 2 apps for 10/user per month for powerapps, instead of 40/per user per, but licenses is required per user for any app / flow that runs as the user. If you have a system flow running behind the scenes that just needs it's own license.

@Chris Webb Thanks for your response.  After much further digging on the web I did find that this was the case.  I feel so sorry for people who have spent a lot of time investing in the development already.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VizChic (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yup, they more or less stiffled feasibility for people just getting into the Power Platform with the new license scheme. You have to license everyone that uses an app that has a connection to a premium datasource/connector. So in your case if they do anything in the app, and that connector is part of the app itself, then they need a license.

Now they do have the smaller, 2 apps for 10/user per month for powerapps, instead of 40/per user per, but licenses is required per user for any app / flow that runs as the user. If you have a system flow running behind the scenes that just needs it's own license.

View solution in original post