Power Platform migration tool

Copper Contributor

What is the best way to migrate Power Apps, Flow and Power BI from one O365 tenant to another? I couldn't find any document explaining migration approach. Is there any third party tool available?

J Justin

16 Replies

@Justin J I don't know about Power BI but you can export each flow or Power App as a zip package that can then be imported on the new tenant. There is a menu option on each flow or app for this.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Thanks @RobElliott Later I found this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/move-environment-tenant We can submit a request to Microsoft to move environment from one tenant to another, which is more efficient than migrating one App/Flow at a time.

Regards

J Justin

@Justin J- Does this mean the apps and flow were also migrated from the same environment ?

We are planning to make use of this and would like to know your experience on the same. 

I have already submitted a blog on this. Link given below.
https://techpatio.com/2021/guest-posts/sharepoint-workflow-to-power-automate-migration-tool

It gives me immense pleasure to inform you all that we have successfully launched the 1st release of SharePoint Workflow to Power Automate Migration tool (beta version) which is going to be a definite game changer. This tool would give clients the desired flexibility as it has the in-built capability to automatically migrate both SharePoint designer workflows as well as OOTB built-in SharePoint workflows to Power Automate & therefore can save a significant effort , cost & time. This tool would also enhance migration accuracy & therefore can certainly be a real value proposition to the client in terms of both effort , cost & time.

This tool would automatically connect & loop through all the SharePoint designer workflows in order to retrieve all the triggers, actions as well as conditions , associated with the workflows & ultimately would intelligently chose the right Power Automate actions to transform them. Currently we do not have apple to apple mappings between every SharePoint designer workflow action & corresponding Power Automate action. Therefore this tool would do the mapping & transformation indigenously to create the exact workflow structure in power automate. Also it would be an interactive experience for the users as they would be able to see a detailed progress status of the running migration job. Even on successful execution of the migration job, a comprehensive report / dashboard would get generated, reflecting the number of successful & failed migrations along with appropriate error messages.

This tool would even support bulk creation of workflows in Power Automate. For example, if there is a requirement to create 100 approval workflows (say) against 100 different list / library, the tool would create a generic workflow template & accordingly would ask the user to key in the count (100 in our example). Ultimately based on user input, the tool would automatedly create the desired number of approval workflows at one go. Once the workflows are created in Power Automate portal, few minor manual adjustments could be needed to ultimately get them running.
Not sure about Power BI. You can migrate Canvas apps and Cloud flows using Flows and Power Apps Migrator https://github.com/Zerg00s/FlowPowerAppsMigrator

Download the latest release and run the Migrate-Packages.bat batch file. Then follow the instructions on the screen. You can even migrate multiple apps, flows and solutions at the same time.

Full disclosure: I wrote this tool, but it's completely free. It used PowerShell PnP under the hood to connect to SharePoint Online sites.
Can you confirm that this can be used with other canvas apps or is it specific to only SharePoint related power apps like SharePoint custom forms?

If your Canvas Apps and Flows don't use SharePoint, then you simply don't need this tool. All you need to do is Export your apps and flows from one environment and import to a new environment. No tools needed.

Manual export and import is possible. But all mappings (Ex: Plans, Teams, SP Site) need to be mapped and connector accounts to be authenticated again.
Ok so do you mean for any app that references SharePoint this tool would be used or would this be specific to things like SharePoint forms for lists only?
@DWD76, this tool is for all types of apps and flows that use SharePoint as a data source. That includes standalone apps, apps that are part of a solution and SharePoint list item forms customized with Power Apps.

@Denis Molodtsov

I read your documentation for this tool on github. It looks like a real game changer thank you so much for developing and sharing it. I'm looking forward to trying it out on copying a power app between tenants but I have a question first. In your readme you say that before migrating, any lists need to be created in the destination. Do the created lists need to have the same structure recreated or is it enough to just create the lists with say just a title column? What I am asking is, will your tool create the list structure in the destination or do we need to create it manually? 

Hi @KarlInOz. In the latest version of the Flows and Apps migrator you can also choose to migrate lists. So, hopefully, this will solve this question.

But overall, it's best to match your destination lists as closely to the original ones as possible, but only of they are using in your flows or apps.

@Denis Molodtsov thanks for your reponse.

Sadly importing the lists didn't work, I got an error

Exporting lists and libraries...
Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate : Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
At D:\Programs\FlowPowerAppsMigrator\MISC\Move-Lists.ps1:87 char:9
+         Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate -ListsToExtract $titles -Out "Lis ...
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (:) [Get-PnPProvisioningTemplate], ServerUnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : EXCEPTION,PnP.PowerShell.Commands.Provisioning.Site.GetProvisioningTemplate

so I manually exported the lists from the source and imported them to the destination. 

But now my import attempt of the flow fails with the error

Flow save failed with code 'DynamicOperationRequestClientFailure' and message 'The dynamic operation request to API 'sharepointonline' operation 'GetTable' failed with status code 'Unauthorized'. This may indicate invalid input parameters. Error response: { "error_description": "Exception of type 'Microsoft.IdentityModel.Tokens.AudienceUriValidationFailedException' was thrown." }'.

None of which I have the skills to decode yet, so as yet I haven't succeeded.

@Justin J This thread is years old but I think what you're looking for is just Solutions. A single flow or app can be directly exported and imported from one environment to another, but to batch many items (tables, apps, flows, custom connectors, security roles, component libraries...) simply add them all to a Solution and export and import the entire thing.

@Justin J Here's supporting Microsoft official documentations about Solutions as mentioned by @RachaelBoneck:

1. Power Platform Solutions overview 
  2. Export solutions 
  3. Import solutions 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs