Multiple sharepoint lists sharing same columns

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I'm new to Sharepoint and I have an issue where I'm not able to find a way to share list data. What I tried to do is have 3 sets of lists each with their own columns and columns that they share. Each list has a custom level of priviledges:

LIST.A: Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Access by users set.A

LIST.B: Column1 Column4 Column5                 Access by users set.B

LIST.C: Column1 Column2 Column4 Column6 Access by users set.C

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Nikola

15 Replies
Not sure what you mean by Share Data? You can setup site columns if you you mean that they share the same drop down data or base them off other lists, but if your talking about just showing different columns to different users you cannot do that out of the box there is no column level security.

You could use PowerApps to simulate security through obscurity to accomplish this but that's only thing I know of outside a custom developed solution.

Hi, thanks for your repsonse.

So what I want to do is have 3 listst that share some of the columns and each has its own set of columns. The first column (column 1) would be a unique column.

LIST.A: Column1(unique) Column2 Column3 Column4

LIST.B: Column1(unique) Column4 Column5                

LIST.C: Column1(unique) Column2 Column4 Column6

In fact it's list level security. It's just that the lists are shareing the same entries just with some same and some different columns involved.

If you mean the value of a column is shared by the three lists so when you update the value in one list it's reflected on the other, then this is not possible out of the box with lists...each list as an individual artifact is not related to the other lists but you can link lists using lookup columns

Ok so what are my possibilities for this problem? Cheers

Do you have a requirement there for security or is it that you just want to show different data sets to different users? If there's no security requirement around it, you could just use a single list with different views configured for each group of users. This way you have one version of the truth, i.e. one list item which is accessed by several different groups of users, but depending on the view will depend on the columns which are shown. This approach would give you the following:

List:

VIEW.A: Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Viewed by users set.A

VIEW.B: Column1 Column4 Column5                  Viewed by users set.B

VIEW.C: Column1 Column2 Column4 Column6 Viewed by users set.C

Hi,

thanks for replying. Unfortunatelly, I need this for security. So group of users need to have access to list A, others need to acces List B etc.

Do the users needs to interact with the data once it's in those lists or are they read-only?

They need to interact with the data that is only unique for that list. The shared data is imputed(and interacted with) in list A.

Ok, thanks for that. So to summarise (this is just so that I completely understand the requirement :))

List A

Contains a set of data specific to this list.

Is secured to User Group A

List B

Contains the data that has been entered into List A AND has data specific to this list

Is secured to User Group B only

List C

Contains the data that has been entered into List A AND has data specific to this list

Is secured to User Group C only

Are you expecting users to be able to do something with the combined shared and unique data in lists B and C?

The way my mind is working at the moment you have a few options:

1. As @Deleted mentioned, you could create a PowerApp to create a custom interface onto the lists

2. You use a Flow/Workflow to replicate the entries from List A into Lists B and C. I don't particularly like this as you'll have duplicates of the data, and you'll have to ensure that if anything changes in the consuming lists, then you'll need to replicate the changes across

3. You could create a page which has two web parts on it. One displaying the shared data from List A, and the other displaying the data relevant to them i.e. pageb.aspx has a web part displaying List B.

Are you expecting users to be able to do something with the combined shared and unique data in lists B and C?

Sorry.. I'm not sure what do you mean here..

Basically, what I want to do is build a master list (with a master-unique column) and other columns that get distributed to other lists based on the master-unique column. The other lists should have the master-unique column and their own set of columns. Columns should be also copied from list B to list C. Good thing with this is that I do not need a column that needs to be changed in multiple lists, I just need it presented in other lists.

As for the webpart, it that working in latest o365 modern webparts?

I think we get the whole column thing. What we don’t understand is the actually data in the lists. This data being entered is all unuiqe to each list? No relation to each other other than they are Input with similar columns?

Let me try to explain this way:

LIST1

COLUMN1: Project code(unique)       

calculated value based on other columns
COLUMN2: Project name
COLUMN3: Project details

COLUMN4: Deadline 1
COLUMN5: Deadline 2
COLUMN6: Status (copy from list 3)

LIST2
COLUMN1: Project code(unique) (copy from list1)
COLUMN2: Project name (copy from list1)
COLUMN3: Deadline 2 (copy from list2, column5)
COLUMN4: Specification

LIST3
COLUMN1: Project code(unique)
COLUMN2: Project name (copy from list1)
COLUMN3: Specification (copy from list2)
COLUMN4: Status

Yes that helps. So if you enter an item in list one. It copies the columns shared to list 2 as a new item that you can go in and update. And also copies a couple columns to a new item in list 3 that also has its own columns to update?

In that case you can set your three lists but your going to have an issue preventing people from modifying column 1 in list 2 and 3.

But from a quick think through here you would setup a flow to trigger on new item creation on list 1 to copy the column data over to list 2 that you needed. Then a flow on list 2 that when new item created copy the columns over to list there that’s needed. Then you would edit the forms on list 2 and 3 to lock or make the fields from the other lists read only and only allow updating the unique columns to the respective list.

The only problem thou if anyone figures out how to use quick edit on the list they can bypass the read only on those fields and change them since you can’t really lock down columns on SP if you have edit rights to the row.

So you suggest using flow as the best solution to the problem here?

Yes, given the additional information that you've provided I don't think there are many other options whilst keeping things out-of-the-box.

The way @Deleted describes is pretty much the same as my option 2, where you use Flow to duplicate the content from your master list to the child lists. As you want this done automatically, that's the only way you're going to be able to do it.

If you were manually entering items into the child lists, you could have used lookup columns to your master list, which would then have allowed you to only have the unique "master" data stored once.