SOLVED

Inspecting SharePoint News Metadata in Flow

Copper Contributor

I have been unable to find a way to inspect News article page metadata via a Flow action. From looking at all the content through SharePoint, it would seem that a news article is essentially just a regular aspx page, but with a "Promoted State" value of 2 instead of 0. However, I'm unable to inspect this data within Flow. Similarly, I can't seem to find some of the other metadata properties, such as Author Byline, First Published Date, Like Count, etc.

If I use the "Get File Metadata" action, it only seems to pull the bare bones, such as LastModified, DisplayName, ID, Path, etc. Is there a different action I should be using to get the metadata I want (as above), or am I configuring this incorrectly?

13 Replies
Last I used flow on this it worked fine and could see all the available columns. Make sure you are clicking the show more link on the right where the columns list out they usually get hidden in there.

Unfortunately they're not there for me. Once I click on Show More, the complete list I get is:

• DisplayName
  • ETag
  • FileLocator
  • Id
  • IsFolder
  • ItemId
  • LastModified
  • MediaType
  • Name
  • Path
  • Size

None of the other columns show up.

Don’t think it’s the metadata action it’s the properties one. Been awhile I need to loon myself lol
So get file properties to get data and update file properties to change

Appreciate the help! The trouble I have with that is using the Update File Properties or even Get File Properties can't be pointed at the SitePages library -- only the default Documents library (but that library doesn't contain the content I'm looking for).

Try get items and not file properties as it is still a list item as a base type, if that doesn't work, use the Send HTTP to SharePoint action and construct the REST call to select and expand the fields you need
Oh. All you need to do is use those actions and manually put in with the specific folder/ library and the in /Site Pages and it’ll let you access it. You can’t select it out of the list.

That's unfortunately a bit beyond my expertise level, but I appreciate the response. :)

If I use Get File Properties and specify SitePages/ it still doesn't work. Maybe it would help to explain what I'm trying to accomplish...

When an item is created in the SitePages library of a site, run a Flow which first checks that the item created is a news item (aka Promoted State = 2), and if so, send an email to someone which outputs some of the metadata associated with that item (author, publish time and date, title, etc).
It would be way easier to use the alert me function in the menu and have a view filtering the alerts. Let me get home here in next 30 minutes and I’ll do a vid or screenshot guide of that or the flow method for you.
Thanks I appreciate that. As for the alert being easier, yes, it would be, but it’s not scalable. I’m essentially doing some exploratory work right now to see how we could leverage flow within some our business processes. Sending an email is just one example use case here, but as I learn more I have grand designs to do more — but it’s all based on being able to access the metadata associated with a news post in a SitePages library.
best response confirmed by Tortilla (Copper Contributor)
Solution

So You do a trigger, whatever that is, Then get file properties pointing to same Site pages library. Then in any action after as shown in e-mail one I can reference it. I could use it in the Condition action as well by adding in Promoted State is equal to 2 etc. 

goodnightflow1.jpg

flow2.jpg

Perfect thanks! Turns out it was the trigger which was causing issues. I was using "When a file is created in a folder" and not "When an item is created."

Interesting though, because the version I used still triggered correctly, it just didn't pull in the metadata for which I was looking. Thanks for the help, you solved it! :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tortilla (Copper Contributor)
Solution

So You do a trigger, whatever that is, Then get file properties pointing to same Site pages library. Then in any action after as shown in e-mail one I can reference it. I could use it in the Condition action as well by adding in Promoted State is equal to 2 etc. 

goodnightflow1.jpg

flow2.jpg

View solution in original post