How to assign manager to approval based on result of item details

Copper Contributor

Hi!  I have a department with three managers and when users create a new Sharepoint item, I want to be able to assign the new (or new and modified) Sharepoint items for approval to the user's appropriate manager.  I think I need to create a logic condition in Flow where the items are sorted by manager name and assigned accordingly. 

I tried two approaches but neither seem to be working out so far:

1) Created a column on Site Pages where the user can select their manager but I can't figure out how to create an approval Flow that uses this information to assign the appropriate approver.

2) Also created a multi-select list of Manager options when defining the item in Flow.  When I test the Flow, it allows the user to select the manager right before submitting for approval but I'm not able to use that step to assign to the appropriate manager.

Help!

Happy to answer clarifying questions or post photos.  Let me know!

Thank you! 

6 Replies

@needs_help if you have a column in your SharePoint list that holds the user's email address or Display Name (I always use the email address) then in your flow you can add an Office 365 Users action called Get manager (v2) to get their Manager. For the user input for that you select the Email column from the dynamic content box. You can then use the output of that in the Assigned to field of the Start and wait for an approval.

So no-one needs to select anything, it all works automatically based on the user's email address in the relevant column.

GetManager2.png

However, if you want to assign the approval based on, for example, a department column like IT or HR or Marketing then the way I do it is to have a separate list that holds the approver(s) for each department. Then the flow looks up the appropriate approver based on the the department selected in the list. But that's a different flow to the one above but if you need the steps for it let me know.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott Thanks so much Rob, that suggestion worked for what I need!

dear @RobElliott can you please share workflow for:  approval based on, for example, a department column like IT or HR or Marketing then the way I do it is to have a separate list that holds the approver(s) for each department

dear @RobElliott can you please share workflow for:  approval based on, for example, a department column like IT or HR or Marketing then the way I do it is to have a separate list that holds the approver(s) for each department

@RobElliott Could you also send me the workflow you describe?

Hi RobElliott

Can you please share with us the steps / flow for approval based on department column like IT or HR.

Thank you.