Get Manager Action - User references old UPN

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help please. I've got a Flow with a "Get Manager" action that is giving an error because the user has married and changed their name. Everything looks perfectly fine in:

1. The users details within the site security (All users - /_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0)

2. PowerShell AD query to show the users UPN is all fine.

Everything was correct wherever I could possibly think to check, yet the 'Get Manager' would still pick up the old UPN for the user, seemingly I assume from the SharePoint Site Collection somewhere.

I've fixed the issue by deleting the user from the site collection and re-adding them, but I'm looking for a cleaner solution than this as I dont want to risk doing this elsewhere on other sites where their name will be included in file update information ("Created By" and "Modified By").

Has anyone fixed this in a different way previously?

Thanks,

Jason.

4 Replies

Hi @Jason Brownhill 

I'm not techy backend so hopefully I will make some sense with my thinking on the UPN, I thought the details are from the users Office 365 profile so it isn't related to SharePoint itself.

Might suggest that you guys check the user profile and AD details to ensure things are correct?

Cheers

Damien

Hi @Damien Rosario 

Thanks for the reply. I've checked all of that and it was fine. I'm pretty sure it's a well known legacy issue that I've seen many times over the last 10 years in that the SharePoint site collection holds onto and keeps the users previous UPN. I deleted the user completely from the site collection (as I've done in the past to resolve this in SharePoint 2007) and re-added the user to be able to fix this problem - I'm not happy with this solution though as it could destroy information for the user updated/created files - it wasn't the case in this instance so I was able to safely remove the user.

Thanks,

Jason.

Update: Further searching I've found 'Get-SPOUser' to get the user details - but there is no update PS command with relevant switch parameters that I've seen to force an update from AD, so part way there, but not quite...  :)

Hi @Jason Brownhill 

Hopefully it's something that will be fixed for a better experience.

Have you checked UserVoice to see if there's anything running on this? If not, you could log the idea and get support!

Cheers

Damien