Flow - Email To Address Display Name

Copper Contributor

Steps to reproduce the Issue:

• Create an email pbidistro@domain.com
  • Set the name on the email as "PBI Distro"
  • From Flow send email using SMTP or Gmail action.
  • Receive email with Display Name as pbidistro

In SMTP action, we have also tried the following in From field: 

• "PBI Distro <PBIDistro@domain.com>"
  • "PBI Distro (PBIDistro@domain.com)"

So, is there a way to edit "Display Name" while sending an email through flow?

We want to make sure the email's "Display Name" looks pretty when user receives the email.

8 Replies
Came across this post looking for the answer, so I'll post what worked for me.

Use the SMTP Connector.

In your flow, initialize a variable, name it whatever you want, set the initial value to Test<test@test.com> don't use quotes, obviously change this to be whatever you want to use as your From email address. Then in the send email action, choose the variable as your From email address and it works like a charm.
We'll test again.
When did you first saw this work?

Thanks
I created the flow today, it's working fine.

Flow runs successfully.

@NLT-FlowNinja  My email id id XXX@Abc.com. I want to trigger an email from my SharePoint with some dummy email id like yyy@abc.com.  I followed your steps uisng initialize variable.

But I got an error message "Not authorized to send on behalf of others. Could you please explain bit detail? 

You're not using the SMTP connector.
Used the SMTP connector. Needed to use an Gmail account. Changing the Sent to does not work. It still shows the Gmail account as the sender.

@PJ Galvin If you're using Gmail you need to follow specific steps to allow relaying (sending email as a non-Gmail user). You can find the steps here. Your issue is not a Power Automate issue, the SMTP connector is working as designed, the issue is due to improper relay configuration on the Gmail side. 

I used my own email server, you can do the same or use another 3rd party one like send grid or smtp2go, etc.