FILTER GALLERY WITH DROPDOWN BY CHOICE FIELD IN SHAREPOINT LIST

Brass Contributor

Have an app and want to filter data in column that is a "choice" field in SharePoint list. Made a dropdown box where Items = Choices(List.Column).  The Dropdown displays all items in that column with no problem. However, cannot figure out the filter function for the gallery. 

As far as I can get is:  Filter(ListName,.   Every combination that I try, the gallery returns blank.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

10 Replies
Filter(list name, columninlisttofilter = dropdowncontrolname.selected.value)

Hey @chudson002 ,

look at Chris Webbs filter formula up here and enter this in the items event of your gallery. 

@chudson002 ... and pls. give a thumbs up to us. Thanx.

@Chris Webb I'm trying to do the same, but I'm getting an error. The intellisense is saying = is an invalid argument. 

'Sponsoring Org' is the Choice Field in my list. Intellisense also prompted me to use result instead of value. 

Any ideas if there'a a different issue with my list?

Filter('DIA/DRA', 'Sponsoring Org'= ComboBox5.Selected.Result) and 
Filter('DIA/DRA', 'Sponsoring Org'= ComboBox5.Selected.Value) both give the error on =

The schema of a Choice column has two keys, ID (number) and Value (string). Since your Sponsoring Org column is of type Choice, it should be:

'Sponsoring Org'.Value

The reason is you're currently comparing an object to a string and because those data types don't match, that error is expected. Append .Value to your Choice column in your filter and now you're comparing a string to a string.

I just can’t thank you enough for that explanation.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This was the solution to my problem also. The filtering is working now when user selects their name from the combo box dropdown, the gallery containing the collection of 3 different SharePoint lists) gets filtered only with the items only containing the specific name (chosen from the dropdown)

thanks, Eva for clarification.