Email a SharePoint Group from Flow?

Silver Contributor

Is there a way to email a SharePoint Group from a Flow? (not an O365 Group, not an AD group, but a legit SharePoint group)

Or do I have to define and maintain an actual Distribution Group for flow to send to?

26 Replies
I'm not trying to knock anyone for figuring out how to do this, but not everyone is a web dev, nor wants to be, nor should they have to be one. People wanting to send an email to a SharePoint group aren't expecting some completely out of left field functionality. It's good that there are connectors for REST calls and such, but Flow is marketed as a replacement for SharePoint Workflows, and it is touted as something that an average user can use without needing to know how to code. We may fundamentally disagree on some of this, I don't know. If that's the case, so be it, best of luck to you. I just get concerned that all these people cobbling together solutions like this and moving on and marking things as solved is going to help lack of basic features like this slip under MS's radar so to speak.

@Derek GusoffThe link which you have provided is broken. Can you share the correct one. Thanks

@mtorres 

Yeah, it's absolutely depressing to know that these basic functionalities are not implemented in 2020.

Now, I will use a LOW CODE application to build CODE JSON and do some hacky scheme with REST APIs to send a basic e-mail. 

Someone give me back my On Premises and farm solutions, please. 

Starting November 1st, 2020, Microsoft will remove the ability to run, or create, and or execute SharePoint 2010 workflows from existing tenants.

In our company we use SharePoint 2013 workflows to send email to SharePoint Group.

Microsoft ask to migrate our old workflows to flow, but standard feature like send email to SharePoint Group is not available....

Then, is there any update in Flow to send mail to SharePoint group without parsing JSON and without calling a REST API ?

Hi @Brent Ellis !

Not sure if we are facing the same issue but i guess we are. But in case we don't, can you explain what you mean by legit SharePoint Group not Office 365 group ? From what I know, Microsoft have deprecated sites Mailboxes (if that's what you're talking about) and encourages us to move to Office 365 Groups. You can have more infos in here: Use a site mailbox to organize email for a team or project  and Use Office 365 Groups instead of Site Mailboxes .

If you read the posts above and are talking about Office 365 group (created by creating a team site or directly in outlook or other apps) here is the trick to email the group from flow:

1. Obtain group email adress in outlook under folders ( I am using outlook for that but you can get it directly on SharePoint or any other O365 app ) o365_group1.pngo365_group2.png
  2. Create a flow that sends an email to the group mail ( with your own trigger ). In my case I wanted email group when a file is created in the group SharePoint site document library :  o365_group3.png
  3. Let the group admin activate reception of group messages and events in members inboxes in group settings (step 2 in snapshot) or ask each user to active it individually (step 1 in snapshot): o365_group4.pngo365_group5.png

Step 3 is not mandaory but if you don't activate it, messages will arrive in group conversation thread without notifying individual users and sometimes you can miss messages if you don't scroll down to verify if you have new messages in the group. So it's better to see it once a user get to his inbox.

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like:smile:

You, sir, are a sanity saver!! I spent an afternoon trying to get this schema! Thank you!!