Can a requester include a comment before sending an approval? Can approver edit attachment?

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am helping my team implement Power automate to help our workflow. I am trying to find more information on the approvals in Power Automate.

I want to use approvals when a form is added to a teams or sharepoint folder. When the requester adds it to the folder, it will trigger the flow. But before the flow is triggered, can the requester add a comment or detail? I want to be able to track how many time the form has gone through the flow. The requester can say "second time submitting for approval" or "please look closely at ___".

My second question is for when the form is rejected, will any edits on the attachment be sent along with the rejection? I want to use both the comments section and the approver actually showing the edits that need to be made in the attachment.

Also if you have any recommendations that you think would fit better with what I am trying to do, please let me know!

Thanks!

1 Reply

@ehernn2 what I would suggest is that you have your flow save the form into a SharePoint list. In that list you have a column with a JSON-formatted button that you or the requester clicks and which triggers a separate flow with a trigger of for a selected item and with a text input added. When you click the button it will open a panel that will allow you to enter a comment then run the flow. That comment could be added as dynamic content into the approval email.

jsonFormattedButton.png

You would need to change the button text, the ID of the flow to your flow's ID and to add any styling you want. 

{
  "$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/v2/column-formatting.schema.json",
  "elmType": "button",
  "txtContent": "Press this button",
  "customRowAction": {
    "action": "executeFlow",
    "actionParams": "{\"id\": \"70bcc1be-c1af-436c-94a6-50828b1582ef\"}"
  },
  "style": {
    "background-color": "#460302",
    "color": "#ffffff"
  }
}

triggerForASelectedItem.png