SOLVED

When will Planner be available for Government O365 subscriptions?

Copper Contributor

We have government G3 O365 subscriptions.  When will Planner be available to us?

Thanks

98 Replies

Technically, they have another 8 days still. 

Let's do over/under.

Who believe they will have it released before June 2018?

Who believes it will be done after June 2018?

Wow, what a teaser. They had May 2018, and now they have changed it to Q4 CY2018. See below:

Microsoft Planner for GCC

THE ESTIMATED DATE IS Q3 2018. The roadmap is currently displaying an incorrect date, we’re working on fixing this. Microsoft Planner helps users efficiently organize their teamwork. Teams can create new plans, organize and assign tasks, set due dates and update status. Planner also offers the ability to attach documents to specific tasks, edit them together and have conversations around tasks. Planner’s visual dashboards and email notifications help keep everyone informed on the overall progress of their initiative. Planner will be available in Office 365 US Government Community (GCC) when it meets the compliance commitments of the offering.
I see. Mistakes happen. But I’m going to move on to buying another product. The cost of the other product will be added to our cost analysis for O365 whwn it comes up for rebid in a few months.
Paul,

I think I will consider alternate products as well at this point. Sigh...

Corey
I figured it was too good to be true. I decided when the projection changed from fall 2017, that Planner may never arrive for the government cloud.

Lots of websites talking about alternatives to MS Planner. Time to go hunting.

Curious, did you find anything? (Is that appropriate, I wonder if I'd get banned)

Corey

Yeah, I'm not jumping yet. I've waited this long and it takes time to implement.

Though, if you are looking, Trello has to be what Microsoft is trying to take on with planner.

Trello is exactly what MS is trying to do with Planner. They are hoping Planner will be a Trello killer. BTW - I have used Trello and know a number of other Trello users - We LOVE it.  The cost is very reasonable. 

The ONLY benefit to MS Planner is that it is supposed to be a part of MS Office. . . If they do get Planner finished for MS Office - GOV, we are going to have a hard time with adoption.  People don't like change and when Trello is sooooooooo good. . .

Let's start a betting pool.  Odds are Q42018 20% given the past missed deadlines.  Given the missed deadlines, evidence suggests they are not focused on improving the software for government clients.  They are not going to get more government clients because of Planner. The clients they have are not going to leave because Planner is not there.  There is no compelling reason for them to ever finish it for government.

Anyone understand why the "Government cloud" would be any different than the Commercial cloud as far as using this app?  I know the Government cloud resources are supposed to only "live" in the USA.

Any thoughts?

If you look at it, I imagine this is holding things up:

Office 365 US Government complies with certifications and accreditations that are required for US Public Sector customers.

The accreditation process is a slug, and often out of the hands of the business. I am guessing it's not a technical issue that's holding things.

There are so many alternatives now.

I'm looking at kanbantool.com as well.

Corey

Does the Last Modified date actually do anything, or is it set to today's date. I went to the website again, and sure enough the last modified date is once again today:

THE ESTIMATED DATE IS Q3 2018. The roadmap is currently displaying an incorrect date, we’re working on fixing this. Microsoft Planner helps users efficiently organize their teamwork. Teams can create new plans, organize and assign tasks, set due dates and update status. Planner also offers the ability to attach documents to specific tasks, edit them together and have conversations around tasks. Planner’s visual dashboards and email notifications help keep everyone informed on the overall progress of their initiative. Planner will be available in Office 365 US Government Community (GCC) when it meets the compliance commitments of the offering.

New Update:

Microsoft Planner helps users efficiently organize their teamwork. Teams can create new plans, organize and assign tasks, set due dates and update status. Planner also offers the ability to attach documents to specific tasks, edit them together and have conversations around tasks. Planner’s visual dashboards and email notifications help keep everyone informed on the overall progress of their initiative. Planner will be available in Office 365 US Government Community (GCC) when it meets the compliance commitments of the offering.
Tags: O365, Planner, GCC
Looks like this slipped yet again

This needs to be release to Government NOW... When will it be released?

We are seriously considering moving back to Google Docs. Every time we attempt to train our employees on features they can use, just about every training video inserts something that they can't do. I watched a OneDrive video that showed how you can add workflow. Those approvals don't work in the Government cloud. People will log into office.com and features will show up temporarily and they will start to use them and wonder why something doesn't work. Usually, it is because it can't work in the government cloud. We are paying for all these programs and features, we just can't use any of them. This has changed our policy for choosing products. If a feature doesn't work at the time of purchase we now assume it never will be. If we would have known that over a year after moving to Office 365 that we would still be waiting on features that we were promised we would never have made the move.

Should’ve went commercial

This is way beyond the sublime at this point--I suppose I should be sublimated to the sublime when it comes to MS slipping release dates for O365 Gov . . . .

Likely if it was only HIPAA, PCI and CJIS it would have been done by now.  Willing to bet its the FEDRAMP that is slowing it down..... What sucks is I don't think I even have any FEDRAMP data in 365. 

Certainly seems as though Planner meets the criteria for FedRAMP Tailored--from the FedRAMP site:

[FedRAMP Tailored] Creates a faster, streamlined process for systems that are low risk for use like collaboration tools, project management applications, and tools that help develop open-source code